While working on updating the TE UI with @billrey , I made some notes on the Text Editor functions:
Bugs and Inconsistencies:
- The “Find Set Selected” functions could work in the context menu, but it needs to open the Find panel(like the Find function), so additional options like “Wrap” would become available. Also it needs a shortcut, so the operation can be repeated without accessing the menu. Needs a poll to greyout the function when there is no selection.
- (Un)comment needs to work on current line too, as it is it only works on the selection. Comment is missing a shortcut.
- The TE undo history is mixing with ex. 3d View undo history making a mess of undoing the TE.
- Cut, copy and paste needs polls to grey them out when no selection or empty clipboard.
- In Find panel, the All setting will find/replace throughout all texts in the TE. Normally “All” means all in the current document - maybe this should be split into two functions: “All in current text” and “All in all texts”.
- Drag-select scrolls like CRAZY if you just barely go over the window edge. Written by Snu.
- When you press ctrl-f when something is selected, it should be pasted into the find text. Written by Snu.
- nBurn writes: In windows (and I think mac os as well) once your cursor goes just over the left side of character’s center ( 50% of the glyph’s width), selections will start on the left side of that character. in blender’s text editor you have to have your cursor positioned somewhere around 90% to the left of a glyph’s width before you can start your selection on the left side of a character
Nice to have:
- A floatproperty example among the Templates.
- The Python Templates could use some sub-menus, and maybe a search function in templates could be useful. Or even better an API manual including working example of the function in question(autoitscript has this).
- Use the Autocomplete on the API functions(or like the python console), not only limited the used words in current document.
- Option to mirror all messages in System Console in Python Console, or a print to python console function ex. printpc(“Hello Python Console”)
- Option to show whitespace(tabs and spaces) and indentation markings.
- pep8 check.
Trying to awake some love for the Text Editor here: