I’ve been into rigging characters for about 1 year now and i have some feedback that i would like to provide regarding constraints and some other features.
Weight Painting :
1. Box Hide - It would be really convenient if we had an option to hide parts of the mesh during weight painting, example would be painting 2 sided wings with 2d falloff ON, but currently the painting would also go over to the body and it needs to be done at specific angles to avoid that from happening.
2. Invert brush - The same feature sculpting has but for the weight painting, holding Ctrl would invert Add brush into Subtract. This is just really to make it faster to make changes.
1. Child of - The current way it works is that the constraint takes the parent information and puts it into the “local space with parent” of the bone/object. What i suggest is adding the option to set from which space it takes that information and to which it is applied, basically the same settings that can be found on something like “copy rotation”. Use for that is that you can give multiple parents for one bone/object without it overlapping and drifting away when the any other parent is moved.
2. Copy location - Offset settings should keep the current location of the bone/object. Currently it will set the location of it to the world origin which renders that setting useless most of the time.
3. Pivot - It would be nice if the Pivot constraint got some more love and was not so buggy to use, it’s a really cool constraint but sadly it’s pretty much unusable.
Other features :
1. Bendy bones - Bendy bones have a really cool feature that allows to set the number of segments the bone will have. This feature would be really awesome if it could be combined with “Spline IK” constraint. As an example i will use a Tail. Usually tails have a lot of bones in them to make the deformations smooth. To use Spline IK constraint you need a pretty long bone chain that is quite annoying to weight paint. If the bendy bone segment setting worked together with Spline IK, it would save up a lot of time from the painting perspective but it would also make it “procedural” in a sense. Resolution of that tail deformation could be changed afterwards if we’re not happy with it.
That’s the current list of the things that would immensely improve the Rigging workflow in my honest opinion. I hope some of it can get implemented down the road ^^