Stacked subdivision modifiers in Blender 2.8

Hi,

Up to and including Blender 2.79, when you creased edges, stacked Subdivision modifiers had a different effect on the creases: the first subdivision modifier kept the crease fully sharp, while a second subdivision modifier fully subdivided the output of the first subdivision modifier, including rounding of the creased edge.

But in Blender 2.8 a second subdivision modifier keeps the creased edges fully sharp. The 2.7x approach allowed the rounding of creased edges to be controlled by stacked subd modifiers. This is not possible anymore with the 2.8 subd modifier approach.

Please bring back the old approach, or add a ‘Round creases’ option that can be activated in a second Subdivision modifier. Modeling using creases and stacked subdivision modifiers is a powerful workflow for hard-surface modeling, avoiding the need for lots of extra edge loops.

Thanks!

1 Like

Now subdivision is handled by OpenSubdiv and I think they did not think about this use case, maybe a checker to disable the effect of creases could be the solution, or a modifier to change creases inside a mesh, but this last one is more complex.

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback, @JuanGea . Sounds good. I’d love to tinker with OpenSubdiv, but I don’t think it’s available in Blender for macOS, unless the Subdivision modifier in Blender 2.8 uses OpenSubdiv by default, but in that case I’d expect additional settings, such as the Chaikin subdivision algorithm for better crease handling.

AFAIK Subdivision in 2.8 is all OpenSubdiv, there is no choice right now :slight_smile:

(I may be wrong, but it is what I have understood)

1 Like

Interesting. It wasn’t available for Blender macOS up to and including the latest 2.79 master builds. I thought it had something to do with Apple’s bad OpenGL support.

Then I´m not sure :stuck_out_tongue:

But in theory OpenSubdiv is what was going to drive subdiv in 2.8 in general, but I´m not sure about OSx, maybe someone can enter here and clarify it.

@pablovazquez or @sergey (wich was the one that did this development) will know it for sure :slight_smile:

1 Like

I expect that my next computer will be a Windows machine again. :smirk: In Blender for macOS Cycles doesn’t support OpenCL anymore, there’s an OpenVDB add-on that’s only available for Windows, NVIDIA / CUDA has better GPU benchmarks than AMD / OpenCL, Apple has ceased OpenGL and OpenCL support in favour of Metal, and I guess OpenSubdiv also doesn’t work in Blender for macOS. :slightly_frowning_face:

Why don´t you install Linux on the OSx machine as dual boot?

At least you will be able to work perfectly with Blender and maintain your OSx needs :slight_smile:

I´m going to do that in my MacBook Pro from 2011

Cheers!

2 Likes

Yes, the attraction of Linux grows every year, but one of my macOS frustrations compared to Windows is the relative lack of software availability on macOS, and I guess Linux is even more a niche compared to Windows, even though Linux is technically very cool. So I guess I’ll return to Windows after a number of macOS years.

Have a nice evening!

Hi. You could install Linux (Ubuntu, Mint, etc) in a separate partition of MacOS or use a LiveCD / Pendrive with a self-starting linux distro. You do not have to buy a new PC and you could use the Mac differently with Linux inside.

2 Likes

Thanks @Zeirus. Sounds good, especially the pendrive option. Does Cycles for Blender on Linux support OpenCL for AMD GPUs?

It should I think, that was what I was proposing, you can maintain your machine and leverage Linux :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, sorry. :slightly_smiling_face: I just didn’t realize that you can even run Linux from a pendrive.

1 Like

Yes, it supports it. In any case If you want to know if Linux Mint works on your Mac model, I suggest you read here: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=277084

1 Like

Thanks guys, appreciated!

1 Like

You can vote for my suggestion to solve this problem here:

Of course, if it is technically feasible.

2 Likes

Thanks @AndreyRusnak, I had already voted and commented on your Right-Click Select post. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like