Showing keys in the status bar

Well, it seems it’s time to explain how things works.

Software - is representation of some mathematical abstractions.
To give that abstractions recognizable shape, peoples gives names™ to it.
For example, “crop image”, “rotation”, “booleans”, “fibermesh”, “PBR”, “BIM” etc.

Modern industry was formed as a result of 30 years of “feature run” of artist mass.
2002 “Oh, look 3dsmax have modeling and texturing! Everybody there!”
2012 “Oh, look Substance has got PBR! Everybody - leaving max for texturing!”

The features - is the way software survive. It can have horrible UI issues like Substance Painter, or Zbrush, but peoples will prefer them if they are doing things properly.
Stability is the only software’s problem.

And vice versa - If you can’t remember how to select loop, launch blender, turn on PC, or other basic things, being modeller, maybe CG is not for you, and being noob is your problem for, not software.

Like not being an athlete as a result of insufficient training.
If you can’t learn even basics, having internet, there will always be those who can do this to surpass you.

1 Like

Haha, but how do people know what “they are doing things properly” if these people can’t use the program because of the bad, confusing UI.

I can give a personal example, I looked at GIMP and bought Affinity Photo. I don’t even know what features GIMP has, just because the interface is bad and I can’t use it.

Yep, “turn on PC”, note that the power buttons always have a recognizable and understandable symbol. And you do not need to learn or remember anything because the interface is clear.

And you won’t believe it but I don’t know how to turn on/off my laptop, I just close the lid. LOL.
This is how a good interface works, you just do it intuitively and it works.

And finally, most importantly, what do you suggest? To remove the status bar? Or not to show the keys? Or is it just trolling?

2 Likes

hihihi the snap system to be honest in blender is not the most comfortable… :upside_down_face:

That’s easy. Don’t overload UI with “Blender basics”.
It is already good at it.

Correction - Blender snap system it is almost perfect (one of the best) in organic modeling.
But it have serious issues in linear/CAD modeling.

of course, of course, I didn’t say it’s not good…
^ ___ ^

REad this guy, please. The icons are really hard to understand.

1 Like

I just noticed that Affinity Designer not only shows very nice descriptions for their shortcuts in their statusbar, but they’re contextual depending on where the mouse cursor is located!

The three right-most shortcut hints here only shows up when you hover over an object:

Pretty amazing!

So is Blender. Move around the cursor, and see how the status bar always updates to reflect in which context it is in.

By the way, how to turn off keys display in status bar?
It is not simply useless starting from advanced level, but pretty much annoyingly distracting with all this blinking at every action.

Like ad from 00’s internet.

You and I should have a discussion about how we can improve this. You, like me seem to be greatly CAD experienced. The great amount of work you have already done and the bit I have done is helping the cause, but there is still a way to go here!

The fact that you can’t easily move, or extrude something using “Direction” (Distance at Angle) in Blender is a real shame, I am writing an add-on that does this, amongst other basic CAD tools, but will we ever see our efforts in vanilla Blender?

On another note, I almost never look at the hints and status bar output, unless I want to see a warning, or error. There has never been in my experience (almost 40 years with CAD) a substitution for Reading The Free Manual and now that we have the Internet, well if you can’t be bothered to find an answer… Intuition is one thing, actually finding the answer in a manual is far more rewarding and a far quicker way to learn. I know, I was once the head of graphics training at Intergraph…

Cheers, Clock.

The problem is that professional work is pretty much repetitive - you keeping using 5-10 functions during 8 hours to get the result.

Blender already had an issue with viewport blinking at beta - entire toolset were turning off during simple moving, and most of that were fixed, but this one is left.
Also problem - showed keys shares same color preset with useful scene stats (that are needed constantly, but also jiggles at any action), and you even can’t make that key garbage less distracting!

So, work process in blender now looks like:

1 Like

Haha :rofl::rofl::joy::joy:

Maybe we can get some more support to make Blender less of a “tool for those not prepared to study” and more a tool for professional people… That comment should stir some responses!

Cheers, Clock.

This is exactly the reason why I often ask to create systems that can decrease the operations to be carried out in order to obtain the same result, because, even though the most trivial change operation that can avoid extra passages, even if it seems a very trivial request, when you spend hours and hours doing jobs that multiply these operations endlessly, every single optimization that saves time and energy becomes precious!

2 Likes