Shortcut Critics and Proposal (again)

hi, long time ago here i “proposed” feature for unified shortcuts:
https://developer.blender.org/T55666
scroll down to wu…
but maybe it was forgotten or just considered to hard to make? would like to know…
but instead that i see still people are “fighting, talking around” over what button should be changed…

my problem is that i tryed 2.8 again after long time and finaly there is option import 2.79 keys and they still messed up and not working many…
so i tryed change all shortcuts again and its just terrible…
some shortcut are double and or not understandable how to set them
like how do i make deselect objects by clicking on empty space in 3D viewport?
or how do i make extend selection by press Shift with box select if i change it to tweak… i not sure…
its just takes to long and hard…

let me ask you question: what difference is pan view in 3D viewport and in 2D window?
i think nothing.
and this is for many other functons / shortcuts same right now in blender

here another example:

why is this?
in the Minimal Keymap Proposal is nicely listen what keys should be kept and whatnot…

how about take them and make for each Unified 1 global shortcut funktion for all editor types?
imagine how nice would be change just 1 shortcut and you set for all editor types and not to dig for hours to change few SAME keys…
PLEASE DEVS

I agree editing keyboard shortcuts is much too complicated in Blender. However there is no time to improve on this much for the first Blender 2.80 release, maybe in one of the later releases.

2 Likes

i installed blender 2.8 and there was option to load 2.79 options . i did that, but its completely messed up, not working many, so i tryed to change few shortcuts to have like i had in 2.79. the problems looks like its the cursor and box selection mode in T window…
and with my proposal could get make rid of left or right mouse. you would just go and change and is finished

and what the hell is action mouse?
please get rid of it and name it left or right . but ACTION MOUSE is just nonsense…
going through all shortcuts i see its completely messed up with preset right or left , cant make it to right. and all that.action mouse and select mouse namings… its terrible to understand…

dont understand why so much energy of many developers are wasted talking about key shortcut to make new set for “mainstream” instead of clean up. and implement this proposal . it cant be so hard. its not like its new eevee requesting…
how you expect people dont feel turned of by the chaos of the shortcuts right now if they want customize own shortcuts?.

While I agree with your sentiment (why is so much time wasted on arguing over the keymaps when the shortcut editor is a mess), I don’t think a minimal keymap is the answer to this either. Though I do wish keymaps weren’t relative to the base keymap and everything built off a completely empty keymap.

The action mouse actually makes sense (because it is globally governed by the mouse preferences), it’s leaving right/left as an option that does not. There should be a warning or something when that happens. And when you add a shortcut involving the mouse it should auto determine the mouse button, for example, if you have select to be right click, then when you add a shortcut right click, it should be interpreted as the select mouse button not right mouse button.