Render Result as Texture Image

I found I cannot use Render Result as Texture Image
I guess there were some conflicts caused by this action?
How about allowing users to duplicate the render result to a texture image which will be used in shading

1 Like

I’d love to see this as well. One use case I’d hoped to try was to render out a heightmap from an orthographic top-down camera and use the output in a displacement modifier elsewhere; it’d be great to not have to save the texture file manually each time.

1 Like

I ran into this limitation last night, if you use Render Result as an Image Texture source in Cycles, it renders as magenta/missing. Even though the render result is viewable in the Image Viewer. Seems to work in Eevee though. This is an important tool for combining things in one render that now requires multiple renders and compositing.

For example, the view of one camera on a screen. You’d want the screen to cast light on and reflect off of objects around it, which you could do if the Render Result worked. Instead, you need to render the screen content to disk and use it as a normal image texture in a second render. Wastes time and disk space, slows you down if you end up needing to tweak the first render due to how it looks in the second.