Reevaluating Worldspace and Localspace Treatment (need some dev triage)

Thank you @GuiltyGhost @sybren @Bclark !!

https://developer.blender.org/D14581

I have to test it well but I suspect that it was all about this single fix!!

Thank you so much!

6 Likes

Thanks a lot for making this ! this is a clear improvement and I’m sure it will facilitate transitioning for new users.
I think it would be nice to streamline and simplify the menu itself now, here is my suggestion :

1. Rename the new option to simply “parent” - this is the name under which it is expected by most people to appear.

2. Rename current “parent” to “parent with inverse” to make it clear this is a special behaviour and add a mention in the tooltip about how it preserves existing animation.

3. Remove “parent without inverse” since the new behaviour is the same thing except for the fact that it preserves transforms - I think this is what users want at all times and the old option is now obsolete. If for some reason users want to reset the child object to its parent origin after parenting, they can clear transforms as a second step.

8 Likes

Yes, the whole parenting menu needs a cleanup. Thanks for your input on this @Hadriscus , it’s useful.

4 Likes

This is working great, many thanks to the devs involved!

Aside from the great points that @Hadriscus made, I would also change the parenting in the outliner (when using shift drag) to use the new parenting option. It was always difficult to know when using the outliner for parenting, which option you were actually getting.

2 Likes

This is great, but there should be a way to set this as the default when drag-and-dropping with shift in the outliner. The keymap settings don’t offer it as an option.

6 Likes