Realtime GPU smoke simulation

Cycles render preview. Later there will be probably an animation but it takes ages in 4K (around 4minutes/frame)

29 Likes

Aaaand there it is. A Cycles render. It was rendered in around 720p and then upscaled to 4k with the custom AI model as a test.

34 Likes

Wow man, as i can only script a bit, it blows my mind, that you can do all that stuff. Physics, AI and so fast. I really hope you might end up as blender dev. That would be awesome ! Is the upscaling done in a separate program ?

5 Likes

Thanks,
For now the upscaling is in a C++/CUDA code of JFlow to be faster during rendering,
But for the Cycles renders I have a separate python script that I launch after, but it could be turned into C++ easly as I have the codebase already done.

And I would love to be a blender dev but for now I don’t meet the requirenments so I’m trying to create a nice demo so maybe it could work somehow

8 Likes

You don’t have to be a blender developer. If you successfully build this into the blender code, you can suggest this to be added to it.

I wouldn’t count on the design to stay the same, but it is certainly interesting.

1 Like

Few more tests of AI upscaling with Cycles:

18 Likes

I see some “lines” in the smoke, is it the AI upscaler or the fluid solver ?

5 Likes

Shader artefacts.
I’ve set the sampling in Cycles a bit wrong to get usable render times, because I didn’t have time for 15min/frame render times

Michal, have you seen this ?

2 Likes

Yup, it’s quite amazing. I’ll try to implement it in some future or do something similar

7 Likes

Last few days I’ve worked on better export passes to allow better and more realistic shading in blender. Still not ideal, but I think it’s slowly getting better

25 Likes

Beautiful as always! I was curious how it fares with some more delicate use-cases. Something like smoking a cigarette or a small campfire. Where you could really see the silhouette of each smoke/flame trail.
Something like this:

8 Likes

Okey, I’ll try it in the near future :smiley:

4 Likes

I can’t help but think that there should be some rolling effects where the fluid is moving across the ground, due to friction/sticking at the leading edge and roll-over from the unconstrained expanding fluid above, and some sticking of the base of the liquid to the ground (it seems to detach cleanly).

Just curious if that’s possible with your current code, or I’m detached from reality :smiley:

3 Likes

Damn dude! This is looking so freaking good!

1 Like

I’ve experimented a little bit with smaller scale as you wished.
Not exactly 100% small scale but not as large as before.
(more tests are coming)

27 Likes

Thank you, looks pretty cool.
Another interesting use case to try is “ink under water simulation”
Although I’m not sure if the solver was designed for this kind of thing.
Something like this:

https://www.dreamstime.com/colorful-ink-water-colorful-ink-water-background-image123486718

3 Likes

At this point in time, may I ask: Is it possible that it interacts with forces? (turbulence, spiral, etc…?)

1 Like

@DavidRivera Will be and @aryeramaty could be pretty soon.
Forces were planned much quicker and colors were not planned, however such option should be easy to implement and the potential is quite huge so I’ll look at it as fast as possible.

Also sorry for lack of response in the last week but I was sick pretty badly and I’m just starting recovering. So first day with a computer :slight_smile:

Have a nice day dear reader :smiley:

18 Likes