I have been working on an asset engine for Blender, and wanted to get feedback from other developers and users. My design is inspired from all of the blog posts, development tasks, and other users proposals I have read over the years.
I have created a video explaining the concept, and wrote an article with more information.
Video - https://youtu.be/1Kuvf5W_eF4
There are several improvements that I would like to make, but I am not sure where to start. Hopefully Blenders Development team can assist, or at least point me in the right direction.
- New editor space - Create a new sub type of the file browser to store assets.
- Better way of loading asset previews - We need a way to load assets into the asset manager region. Currently I just display a directory from your hard drive. This can work in a similar way to bpy.utils.previews, but it would be nice if it could load previews faster. https://docs.blender.org/api/2.83/bpy.utils.previews.html
- Better way of navigating assets - This will mainly be developed in the ToyBox asset library. Once we have a way of loading custom previews then we can determine what should be displayed by using search fields, tag system, and filters.
- Automate thumbnail previews - Blender creates a preview of the blend file, but no previews are generated for ID types (objects, collections, materials, worlds). It would be nice if Blender can automatically do this in the background.
- Better way of saving multiple assets - This will mainly be developed in the ToyBox asset library. I have several ideas of how this can be done for the ToyBox Library. I just need more time to develop the functionality.
- Move some python code to blenders source code - I created a repository of some of the code that I would like to move to Blenders source. https://github.com/CreativeDesigner3D/Blender_Asset_Manager_Prototype