Procedural Hair Nodes: Nodegroup Assets for Blender 3.5

i would like to suggest some additions:

1. add missing attribute tab under “curve properties”,
  2. add datatype “2d vector” for geometry node output,
  3. add “convert attribute” option in hair curve properties.
  4. update mesh/curve “convert to hair curve” similar to below user flow.

P.S. I previously reached out to Simon on twitter, and thanks for recommending me to post here.

You need to use Store Named Attribute. See UV Unwrap Node — Blender Manual

For the UV attribute you need to indeed use the Store Named Attribute node currently. I’m not sure why the 2D vector option is not available in the nodegroup outputs to be honest though.

The issues with the conversion between legacy curves and the new curves will be resolved by proxy at some point as the old system is being phased out in favor of the new once the features are all there. Of course, we should have some operators for conversion in the meantime though.

But keep in mind that geometry nodes already has a lot of functionality for this exactly. For your proposal you can for example just use an Attach Hair Curves to Surface modifier after piping in the legacy curves geometry on a new curves object.
Of course, that’s not a builtin operator. But as I said before, the idea is not to have both systems coexist in the long run. So fostering an environment where both are kept compatible at all times is at least to some degree misused development time.

Is it possible to translate blender’s built-in geometric node assets?

Unfortunately not yet in Blender 3.5, but in Blender 3.6 this will possible afaik, due to this commit #105933 - I18n: Extract and translate asset catalog and asset names and descriptions - blender - Blender Projects

2 Likes