Open letter to Blender Foundation about VR/XR development

well i’m not buying anything autodesk makes, so i’ll just keep waiting and hoping for proper VR support in Blender :slight_smile:

my hatred for autodesk vastly outweighs my love of VR

I share your feelings … but if you use Maya from beginning you can clearly distinguish between Maya and Autodesk… Product (and team behind the product) is one thing, business is another thing. Maya has changed owners many times and yet it has left a mark on everything CG related… even Autodesk failed to (completely) destroy it :relaxed: … anyway I agree that Blender overtook it in most aspects. VR is just not one of them…

Any idea how to find new and more developers that are able to contribute for VR/XR development? Julian Eisel is way too busy on the new asset browser and UI stuff. It doesn’t make sense that the small team works on too many projects at the same time.

Blender has enormous user/developer base (Blender by Numbers). So it’s not about finding developers, it’s about Blender development politics (i.e. vision) IMHO. In VR/XR time Blender vision proved to be outdated.

I don’t trust those numbers when talking about this specific VR/XR development. Blender is a huge software package and requires people working on everything for a long time. Pablo Dobarro for example is known to be the “sculpting” developer and you don’t have persons like him for all modules. Many developers work on many areas beause there are still many more full time developers needed to really dig into one specific task.

Imagine having a team like we have for Grease Pencil or Cycles but for VR/XR development and working constantly for new features, quality of life improvements and integrations. There were far more progress. But this needs a proper team actually doing this full time.

I totally agree with you.

I agree that we need a team to work on VR/XR similar to Grease Pencil(grease pencil is mostly volunteers opposed to cycles where the patches are from companies or blender). I think that what’s holding us back at this point is not having the one volunteer/official developer that is leading the development.

1 Like

There is a big hope for VR/XR in Blender in version 3, thanks to Peter Kim and other developers. This makes me happy …

2 Likes