New (optional) UI mode: categorized (ribbon-like) toolbars

Description of the feature

Background

LibreOffice recently re-worked their toolbar UI and introduced a ribbon-like UI in their latest version.
Actually they offer different methods, i.e. one just grouping and one more-ribbon like with categories.

Feature request

Now, obviously this is inspired by MS Office, but I really like LibreOffice adopted it. (in a nice and optional way letting users choose the UI they like) However, IMHO, it does not have to stop here. I really think it makes sense for a lot more “complex” applications.

So: introduce a ribbon-like UI in Blender!

Use cases

User Story: As a (not-power-, but irregularly) user of this complex application, I want an easy and fast UI to quickly find features.

Reasons:

• cleaner (modern) UI
  • It makes sense for new users. You don’t have to search through deep menus to find a feature.
  • You can (IMHO) better remember where a tool was…
  • You can display slightly bigger icons, making them more “readable”
  • You can display special elements in there, too, not only buttons, but actually config options
  • You can display the actions suited for the currently supported tool/view/element/…
  • …

Ribbon UI for blender… No thank you.

1 Like

Yeah, Ribbon is the worst thing ever. :smile:

1 Like

This post is pretty funny.

In a nutshell, you are enthusiastic about “Ribbons”. But not enough to expend any effort at all convincing anybody of it.

This post of yours was just a copy-and-paste of the exact same thing, virtually word-for-word, of the posts you did at inkscape and for gimp earlier. So your investment here was just replacing the single word “Inkscape” with “Blender”. And you didn’t even spend the time to read the description of the forum you posted in.

If you really want other people to invest their time in implementing a feature, you should at least spend some of yours exploring it and convincing us.

Please create mockups of the entire Blender interface showing how it could work and operate with ribbons and illustrate and prove how it would be better. Otherwise this is no different than posting to an automotive forum saying “I think cars should run on water”.

2 Likes

@charbelnicolasand @ThinkingPolygons

Thanks for your incredible constructive contribution to this discussion…

Yes, it was. So what’s wrong with that?
Thing is just, the arguments do apply 1:1 to any of these three applications, so nothing needs to be changed.
Next time you write source code, please never copy & paste, please rewrite it character by character!

Yes, because instructions here are not at all clear…
However, I guess, I already found the appropriate place. So if anyone is interesting in a discussion in a constructive way, here you go:

No(?). It is a suggestion…

I would totally suggest this, if another car maker (for a different model/car type or so, make trucks) already implemented this successfully and you can get inspired and think about it and evaluate it, at least. Instead of rejecting it right away without any explanation, but just childish comments…

You’re welcome…

I neither rejected the idea, nor made any childish comments.

If you re-read my comment you will see that I just pointed out that your proposal lacked any kind of specifics for Blender as it was just a copy and paste from earlier suggestions you made for other projects. And I told you to spend some time and effort thinking your proposal through, making mockups, flowcharts, etc on how it might actually work in practice.

With a well thought-out proposal you might convince people of the idea. Without that though, what you have done is really just tell a bunch of different software projects that “ribbons are good” and that doesn’t really have a lot of value on its own.

Cheers, Harley

Ribbon UI is like identity politics. It corrupts, rots and destroys anything it touches :slight_smile:

2 Likes