N-Panel proposal and Pool

Well who sais it needs to be limited to one row? It could be a multi line tab bar, would be noce to see how that would look like.

It’s possible when you really want it!:slightly_smiling_face: maybe by adding rows instead of extend horizontally. The same problem happens with the unreadable and ugly vertical tabs it will be quickly full!

Ooh and for Alberto’s proposal I’d prefer with background for better looking. Also with these bunch of settings I think it’s better to keep two panels

Maybe my problem is that i have the windows taskbar on the left

That is part of my proposal, see the last paragraph

But i dont think that we must to last the possibility to hide it

This wont happen…

These vertical tabs was already a problem in previous version. I thought almost everyone was agree to remove them at the beginning of 2.8 development.

This addon may contains part of the solution to clean up the interface while still offering space for settings… combined with vertical ICONS tabs should be powerful:
https://www.blendernation.com/2017/01/19/add-clean-tabs-interface/

2 Likes

Addons will go where all dev put it, so probably all will go to the N-Shelf that works like the old T-shelf and actually all addons go there in 2.8

I would like the side panels, now that they are becoming important containers, to have some evolution in terms of “expanding drawers” and show their best tools that are contained …
I’m talking about something like it happens in physical reality …

I’m thinking of the mechanic’s drawer which has a compact part, with all the basic tools, and which then opens the two doors and there are all the other more in-depth tools …
imagine
every door “full of tools” and the central part also full of tools …

mentally transforming this figure to what I mean in terms of each sidebar panel … and you will understand what I mean …

we would have compact panels for each addon and native blender function, but that can be expanded when we need them, in horizontal terms, to use less frequently used parts of tools …

Looks like the multi line tabs are not a bad option at all.

Addons can go anywhere in 2.80 in Active Tools Panel, in the topbar, even in their own editor…etc, i don’t like the N panel to be flooded or spilted like it’s right now, this will result into too many clicks or losing the horizontal 3d space…also there is no time left before the stable Release to redesign it, so it’s best to polish it and make it useable instead of trying to test every possible combination that users throw.

The tabs in Properties can be in the other side, it’s configurable, use the Flip Region command over them (not the panels, just the tabs zone). The tabs in the N-key are not, they seem to always be left side for left panels and right side for right panels (Flip Region flips everything, or I have not found where to apply it). Default for properties seems to be the inverse logic used for N-key, they are in the way instead of placed near the edge (area for N-key case, window for Props).

Maybe I lost some other thread and I don’t want to vote:
why it is better to move the N-panel on the left, together with T-panel?

Personal preference.

There wouldn’t be any problem if we could just have the T-panel back. The N-panel alone is just going to get absolutely cluttered with addons and rigging buttons (it’s common to put IK switches and such there). We’re going to end up with an insanely long scrolling list, for absolutely no benefit to the design what so ever.

1 Like

The N-shelf was deserted at 2.79 and the T-shelf was full. Now that the T-shelf has been removed, or become the active tools bar, the N-shelf will be populated in the same way.

Actually if it were not because we know that one was the T-shelf or the N-shelf we might think that only the T-shelf has moved from place to place.

Improvements to the N-shelf are needed to allow it to work with many more elements. Icons seem the most obvious option.

“The N-shelf was deserted at 2.79”
What are you talking about? It’s jam-packed.

If you compare with t-shelf it dont have a lot

Both my N-panel and T-panel are full and require scrolling. With the same amount of content, the N-panel in 2.8 is bound to be twice as long. I have no idea what your argument is.

That my t-shelf have 10-12 tabs, my n_shelf don’t have any tab and 60% or controls have disappear for 2.8.

N shelf, I think, is very handy:
the only thing I suggest is to have box closed by default (except transform).

It is so easy to open close everything dragging up or down the mouse on the arrows.
You can pin your favorites too (shift +) left mouse.