More Sculpt Modes for the [Shift + Left Mouse hotkey]

Yes please. This is a must.

1 Like

I have just got great news from @jfmatheu on Twitter :

2 Likes

The mask brushes are there too?
Those are the most critical to me as zbrush user.

Hi! Can You try the build to test the patch stability? https://blender.community/c/graphicall/7jbbbc/
Any feedback is welcome!

4 Likes

Quick test here, works beautifully… much better way of working, thanks.

I just wish all the brushes and tools from the toolbar were available on that list so we could choose any brush/tool with no restrictions, but that’s probably asking too much… :smile:

The mask brush alone on that list is already a huge workflow improvement… :+1:

3 Likes

Yay! Good to know is working fine for you! To just support the mask had to add a few more things in the code but others are part of the same blocks of code anywhere, so now adding a few more is just few more lines for each “block”. Also had to split the property because was shared across texture paint and sculpt and that was bad, I don’t know why was like that but… well, I added the brushes that are probably common of switching to use temporaly as secondary brushes but frecuently. But I can add all them if there’s much people that agree with it.

5 Likes

Working great so far. Can’t wait to see it in master. :slightly_smiling_face:

And yeah, like red wax said, all the brushes would be nice, but I believe they can be added as a separate patch in the future? after this one is accepted and committed :wink:

2 Likes

I have tested the branch and everything worked fine here. :+1:
I haven’t noticed any error.

I would prefer to see all the other brushes (and not necessary in another commit), I fear a decision from the official devs that could want to only add the most used ones (whereas some users could want to use any brush).

2 Likes

Perhaps you could post a message on Twitter (with the hashtags #b3d #blender #blender3d …) to ask for more testers ? (just a thought… the patch seems to work fine).

1 Like

Man, this is great. People have been crying for this since forever. hahaha
And yes, all brushes if possible. :+1:

2 Likes

No more news but here is the patch :
https://developer.blender.org/D6515

What’s wrong with this @jfmatheu ? No news, no reviewers?

This is a “small” patch but a huge workflow improvement.
Where’s the UI/UX team when you need it? Is the tracker dead? :disappointed:

New answers have been posted and developers have expressed their opinions (for some reason, I haven’t been notified) :

https://developer.blender.org/D6515

1 Like

@jfmatheu Still no positive answer on your patch? Damn, that’s unbelievable.

1 Like

I guess core devs have their design plans when Asset manager comes so I believe in their words, but I believe it’s going to take some time, not just to have the asset manager but to have that specific features that users want now, like using any shortcut for any brush. For the meantime we can’t do that much until it is done. You can have the same feature with an addon easily, supporting any brush, but the thing is to have it in source for everyone as it’s something useful for all people not for only “4 cats” as we say here…

The thing is, the asset manager is totally unrelated to what we are asking here. I have no idea why they are even mentioning it there.
I believe the people in charge of it they just don’t understand the feature we are requesting, which is a shame. You need to have zbrush (and other software) experience to fully understand how crucial this feature is.

2 Likes

LOL. No way… People are mixing asset manager with this?
This can’t be real. :upside_down_face:

As you may already know, today, Pablo Dobarro answered some sculpt-related questions in this Blender Today Live stream:

It’s unfortunate but (at the end of the video, in the Q&A) none of us were there to ask him his opinion about the topic that matters to us (this topic, and about jfmatheu’s patch).

Later today, he asked Blender users to share videos about their workflow, to show how they use the sculpt mode.

Here is the DevTalk thread where to post videos:

Maybe it’s the chance for us to explain (in a video) why merging the patch (or at least, reviewing it) is important?

:white_check_mark: rB58d7be56424b

Sculpt-dev: add tool slot override to sculpt.brush_stroke

• Sculpt.brush_stroke now has a property to override the tool slot.
  • Note that this is somewhat different from how this was typically done in the past. Instead of physically switching slots we instead load the overriding slot’s brush’s channels into ss->cache->tool_override_channels.

would be nice to use that feature, but unfortunately it has a critical bug.
if you check “Ignore Background Click” in the keymap preferences, you’re screwed.

too bad too bad