Mirror Modifier Enhancement

What about some update of old Modifiers especially Mirror Modifier…

I have an idea where Mirror Modifier has an option to mirror only faces assigned in Face Maps / Groups… It would be very helpful to have one mesh with this setup…
Let’s say we have a model of a car, where one side has a fuel cap of tank… Then you can assign this area of faces (or all the others) to Face Group, select this group in Mirror Modifier, to be mirrored (or check the option for all the others)… And “voila”, half of body of the car is mirrored so you have only one side modeled, then area of tank cap is on both sides… One has the cap and second one has not…

You can say, that in 2.8 will be Multi Object Editing… Yes, but the advantage of my idea is, that you have everything in one mesh…

Other examples of usage could be: Character with pocket on one side only, that means one rigged, skinned mesh… Or smart phone with different buttons on each side, or whatever you have almost symmetric but not exactly…

Another questions would be, what about UVs or Normals on the mesh…
UVs: Could be unwraped as usual, and non-mirrored areas separately… (What could be expected I think…)
NOs: There could be option to Merge or Split Vertices on the same place of both sides…

Thats all, thanks for reading…

2 Likes