Making an Add-on for Precision Drawing Tools (CAD)

That will be really helpful, thank you!

I have added two more options, the ability to write the Pivot Point location to the active object in the form of three custom properties (the only way I know how):

This means you can now store a PP location for each object so it can be easily recalled for geometric modifications, without the need to remember where that point was, or to use the 3D Cursor, or move the object’s origin. PP Write requires user confirmation to proceed - my very first @classmethod :joy:

I have uploaded this version to my website (as linked before, this forum now asks me if I really want to link it millions of times) and added a Help page for the Pivot Point functions as a first try, if this is deemed appropriate I will do more for the other sections.

Cheers, Clock

1 Like

Storing Pivot Point as a custom property sounds like the correct way to go.

Just for the record (and because I didn’t understand from reading most of the thread): to install this does one need Animation Nodes or not?

1 Like

Absolutely not, it was just for the node I used to work out the maths! this just runs on it’s own in Vanilla Blender.

1 Like

Cool, thanks for the clarification!

I use a slightly modified keymap (to simulate Rhino 3D navigation) - it’ll be interesting to see how your tools feel like.

2 Likes

Hrm, I must be stupid. Which of the links on your cad-functions page do I click to download your add-on?

nvm, I already noticed the release history section in the middle.

I doubt that very much!

So it’s this page https://clockmender.uk/blender/cad-functions/ and this top link in Release History:

Maybe I should organise the website a bit better now this is getting serious…

1 Like

Yah, I just tripped over the second release history section you have on that same page :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll sort this out later, not today, too much else to do, I think a new page for it would be a better idea.

2 Likes

Reading through your CAD proposal already gives a bit more info on how to use your add-on.

I have to remap my mind a bit from the Rhino command-line, but I guess one can get used to the abbreviated commands.

Maybe for the future it’d be nice if your command input could do some form of autocompletion and use full-name commands instead. But I guess with a bit of practice your add-on can be a very nice way of doing CAD-style drawing.

1 Like

I don’t know if you are already aware of it, but I tried your addon (today’s release) and doing nothing, just opening the menus, it puts the CPU at 40% consumption, and I also had a crash, I have tried it on the latest alpha blender build 2.81 on windows

No I am not aware of that, eeeek!, so I looked at mine on my Mac:

Not sure why you have the problem… this is official 2.80 for Mac

EDIT:

Spinning the view around as fast as I can takes CPU up to 11.1% with the Pivot Point displayed, this is updated all the time it is displayed by every event as there is an event watcher to keep it updated. Do you have PP switched on?

1 Like

here’s what happens without doing anything, just activating the addon and going to your UI tool

There is nothing running in the background for this add-on, only if you have the Pivot Point on, but that is just redrawing the simple graphics. I don’t know what to say…

EDIT:

So, I removed the Add-on and looked at the monitor, same blend file:

I’m trying to investigate, even starting blender 2.81 with a factory reset, enabling your addon, and simply clicking on the tab “view” I had a crash …
now I will try with the official blender 2.80 and let you know.

edit:
on blender 2.80 official seems to work without problems …
it is on blender 2.81 that at the moment your addon conflicts with something.

Same process for Blender 2.81 Alpha on Mac:

1 Like

ok, I went even deeper, I backed up my blender 2.81 configuration folder and I created a new one with only your addon and so it works without problems … probably goes into conflict with some other addon or something similar … the strange thing is that the crash does it by starting blender 2.81 with a factory reset.

2 Likes

How do I check for conflicts with other Add-ons? Remember I am very new to this…

1 Like

I have no idea. :thinking:

I try to investigate better

(also because I started understanding the mechanism of how your addon works, and I want to try using it)

edit:
I try to disable all my other addons one by one and see how it goes.

1 Like

Let me know how it goes and if you find any problems with my Add-on please. :thinking:

I will check every part of it on 2.81 over the next day, or so and report any issues I find.

2 Likes

PDT Moved to to it’s own page on my Website:

Sorry for any confusion while I do this…

Cheers, Clock.

4 Likes