Left click select keymap

There are some bugs happening there…
In the meantime use the “Select” tool…

2 Likes

I think the user will expect to be able to continue selecting in box mode with left-click even when using the active tools: transform, move, scale, rotate.

Proposal on using the tools.

1. Keep selection types vs 3D cursor a totally different thing
  2. Change mouse click actions between tool type
  3. Several ways to deactivate the tool back to selection

1. Keep selection types vs 3D cursor a totally different thing.

Currently, switching between the two top buttons only change what happens on left click. I prefer it would be like this.

Using one of the selection tools

Keep it the same

Using the 3D cursor

• Translation tools will move the 3D cursor.
  • Other tools that has nothing to do with 3D cursor are removed.
  • Shortcuts are still valid.
  • Instead of the removed tools, relevant tools, like “move the 3D cursor to origin”, are added.

2. Change mouse click actions between tool type

Based on the following two aspects, the tools can be classified to 2x2

• Will it have gizmos?
  • Will a click mean anything anywhere in the viewport?

have gizmos / clicking means nothing somewhere

For example, the Spin tool has gizmos but clicking else than the gizmo is useless.
For such tools,

• Clicking the gizmo: use the tool
  • Click some where else: deactivate the tool back to selection
    -Mouse cursor: shape can be the same as usual
    would be intuitive.

have gizmos / clicking means something anywhere

The Extrude tools have its gizmos but clicking other places are also used (to extrude to the position).
For such tools,

• Clicking the gizmo: use the tool
  • Click some where else: use the tool
  • Mouse cursor: shape should change

would be intuitive.

have gizmos / clicking means nothing somewhere

I don’t know such tool but I guess mouse actions in a limited area.

• Click in the area: use the tool
  • Click some where else: deactivate the tool
  • Mouse cursor: shape should change if it is in the area

no gizmos / clicking means something anywhere

Knife tools does not have gizmos but clicking the viewport activates the tool.

• Click some where else: use the tool
  • Mouse cursor: shape should change

3. Several ways to deactivate the tool back to selection

Deactivation which means go back to selection would be handy for a speedy workflow.
IMO blender shouls support several common ways to deactivate.

• Enter: Confirm and deactivate
  • Double click: Confirm and deactivate
  • Esc: Roolback and deactivate
  • RCS: Roolback and deactivate

Hello, I want to select (a vertex, edge, etc) when the pointer is very close to it, where can I set this selection distance? so blender doesn’t select from so far away. When I want box selection or lasso near a vertex, blender selects and moves. Or if I want to select box or lasso by clicking on the empty area between vertices I have the same problem. I would feel more comfortable decreasing that distance so I have more control of what I select.

Are you using the box select tool? It should work, but unfortunately it lacks the transform gizmo.

About the active tool system: could we hit the ESCAPE key to get back to our selection tools like any other software ?

did a topic for this this may was not necessary

1 Like

It’s funny man, I think you’re confusing other software with blender itself.
Pressing Esc to go back only exists in obsolete modal workflows which doesn’t exist elsewhere.
What is needed is a fix to the W key. :wink:

the escape key is design to escape things, that’s why its called “escape”

1 Like

Right now is in the contextual menu

At the moment, selecting a strip in the NLA editor jumps one right into tweaking it, which makes it hard to jump between editing multiple strips without messing with their starting position. Could the click and click+drag be separated here?

Edit: Just noticed this is the same for keyframes, so I’m guessing this is still a WIP?

Hello dear devs!

I’m interested why 3d cursor have shortcut spacebar by default? The Spacebar button have many functions: play animation, show tools window, search. This switch can be done in Preferences. And now we need press two time spacebar for activate 3d cursor if function of spacebar button is showing tools window.

And guess what happening if function is search or play animation :joy: 3d cursor is not activating.

1 Like

I was looking at C4D’s R21 update and found something very useful, right clicking on the gizmo opens a menu with two setting called axis and orientation, I think they’re equal to blender’s pivot point and orientation.
Better than having another hotkey or going to the popup in the bar above.
Althought I don’t like using gizmos in blender, I would probably find myself using it in some cases with that option.

1 Like

That’s because drag selection support is removed from LCS, so it became that clunky.
https://developer.blender.org/T70645#792905

Tweak tool seems to be perfect paradigm for proper behavior, but, it seems, it just duplicates box select tool behavior without actually box selecting ability.
Currently you must hold the mouse still while clicking LMB in order to select the vertex.
It also doesnot tweak on blank space, just removes a selection.
I agree, current behavior destroys Blender usability to the core.

It is still deadly workflow issue, and one of the reasons our company declined Blender 2.8X for production cycle. It is just unacceptable to lose almost half of speed on misclicks and selection declines during complex organic modeling and retopology.
When this is fixed, we will be able to perform organic modeling and retopology in 2.8X, which almost entirely consists of selecting and tweaking vertices.

But it works for not complex scenes. That means - for 95% of the modeling work.
Combining a complex scene is just a final stage of a production cycle, not the only.

That is not the problem, the problem is that Left clikc uses “click” event instead of “press” event. With change that the bahviour is practically the same.

That was reported before and devs closed the bug report.

1 Like

I know, it was reported before, but to a simple click, not a shift+click or ctrl+click.
The problem is still present in 2.82. The report was closed for no reason.

I know, my bug report was closed because it is “by design”

1 Like

I don’t understand some of the core developers decisions. They sometimes close bug reports / issue-tickets while those are valid… :slightly_frowning_face:

There are too many reports, it is easy to miss something important.

When we talk about UX, normally is “by design”

https://developer.blender.org/T68970

1 Like

Then it’s weird. This is how Blender has been used all this time.
For reliability and speed.