Is 2.8 "final" enough for performance benchmarking?

Hi all:

I have no clue where I should be posting this question, so I hope I’m not too far off the mark here.

I run a tech-based website which publishes a lot of workstation (and gaming) performance results. I’ve tested with Blender for some time, but have wanted to amp up the suite for 2.8. I have CPU, GPU, and hybrid Cycles rendering tests planned, as well as viewport performance (in wired, solid, and LookDev). I also have an Eevee rendering project, but I am still evaluating if it’s realistic to test with (it’s fast to the point where I am not sure useful scaling will be seen - a good thing, really).

Am I safe to get to testing, or should I keep things simple for the current time? I can’t tell if 2.8 final is right around the corner, or months off.

Side question with the viewport: is it Eevee by default, or is the viewport in 2.8 similar to the one in Blender? Which I assume would have been Cycles - or is that separate? I’ve had a hard time wrapping my head around this.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Rob

The release is still months away, viewport and Eevee performance might still change significantly. Cycles performance when rendering in background mode should be basically identical in latest 2.79 and 2.80 builds if the scene is the same.

The viewport draws using either the workbench engine (wireframe and solid), Eevee (lookdev, rendered) or Cycles (rendered).

1 Like