Industry standards and keymaps

Yes, I did. I worked on the same environment in XSI and Blender just to compare two different workflows. In my case Blender lost. Not because of its tools (they are great), but because of the way those tool are executed. And this whole keyboard f**kery with the context dependent shortcuts was (and still is) quite annoying and frustrating to say the least.

What you learn is not the fastest approach, it’s just Blender’s approach. And those useless contests that you’ve mentioned in other topic doesn’t prove anything.

Many of the modeling, texturing and other related operations can be performed much faster or the more efficient way in XSI and other tools. I’ve mentioned a few of those above, but here is another one - negative scale. In XSI it works exactly the way you’d expect it to work with no unwanted consequences. In Blender, on the other hand, it has a very serious unwanted consequence - it inverts normals. You won’t see that until you apply transformations. And after that you have to fix the normals. But if you use negative scale and you don’t know about this issue or forget to fix it, then you are in for a very unpleasant surprise. So much speeeed, so much efficiency. Yay!

WUT? I’ve seen a number of professional modellers at work and ALL of them used GUI as a part of their workflow. You know why? Because moving your mouse 1cm up and clicking is FASTER than pressing some key combinations like let’s say Ctrl + H on the keyboard.

Not sure what exactly do you mean.
The approach you are not familiar with didn’t worked for you, and the official contest between professionals, including AAA game modellers doesn’t prove anything.
Also you said that moving mouse with precise aiming to GUI and moving it back to model is faster than not moving mouse.

It is quite suspicious.
Even Bulgarov use hotkeys to achieve an appropriate performance level. Right in XSI:

I said pros use GUI as a part of their workflow. Do you understand the meaning of the word ‘part’? Shortcuts is a great thing, but hotkeys in combination with GUI is even better and faster.

My point is that this whole Blender’s hotkeys oriented approach is a good things for some and a source of constant pain and stress for the others.

1 Like

Such a pain is caused by relearning.

Learning process - when you squeeze instructions from the “brain” to the “spinal cord”, converting knowledge into motor skills - is always painful, regardless of the field of study.
The point of Blender approach is to learn the fastest and versatile approach from the very beginning, to feel that pain just once, avoiding the need to completely retrain motor skills to meet industry speed requirements.
For me it was not that hard to relearn from max to blender, because I retrained my motor skills to hotkeys approach during working in max, to meet overall industry speed requirements - which was quite painful.

That’s the reason our company hire Blender users - they are incredibly fast and versatile modellers by default because they did not know other paths except the most efficient while learning.

Being close-minded like you won’t help Blender (or you) win more people over.

That explains a lot. I’ve used 3Ds Max for some years and it had (maybe still have) the ‘slowest’ workflow / approach on the market.

PS. Just for fun: Clicks to create a 10m cube that has 3x5x8 subdivisions and switch to the object mode.

XSI: LMB → 10 → 3 → 5 → 8 → LMB

Blender: Q → LMB → 10 → F → TAB → Ctrl + R → MW (3) → LMB → Ctrl + R → MW (5) → LMB → Ctrl + R → MW (8) → LMB → TAB

Did I miss anything?

1 Like

Can you, please, say that to all those 3dsmax users who learned it as the only program and think that its approach is actually the best because it is an industry standard? Do you think they will believe you?

Relevance.
Saving seconds when creating a cube is handy, but not relevant.

1 Like

As it turned out, that old joke about Blender that posted above hit home much closer than I’d thought. I’ve always felt that working in Blender (IS keymap with Gizmo) was kind of like working ‘backward’ and moving objects in the ‘wrong direction’ in a way… and now I know why:

That image is missing other software, I wonder why…

Anyway, coordinate system discussion is kinda off topic to shortcuts.

While idea of industry keymap is good in theory, I’ve seen a lot complains from new users that it ends up being a hindrance since they can’t follow blender tutorials because it changes too much. So some kind of hybrid keymap (just the selection, navigation and qwer, rest of shortcuts is blender) could be a good solution.

1 Like

Because I don’t have other 3D software. I’ve tested everything I have and here are the results:

Gizmo orientation:

Maya: Forward
XSI: Forward
Unreal Engine: Forward
Cryengine: Forward

Blender Backward

This backward orientation is very confusing and makes it really hard to use the gizmo.

Yes, but no. Gizmo is a part of the Industry standard layout.