Improvements to volume stepping/alternate systems?

I’ve been looking around for a few days now, but I haven’t been able to find any information on improvements to volume stepping mentioned in the 2019 blender conference in november. I understand that the mention was more a call for devs to help, but this is a rather omnipresent bug for those doing lots of simulations. I’m still getting very noticeable artifacts from stepping, and a system that removes the need to increase the step rate to silly levels would be very much appreciated across the board. As noted in the conference, the technology is essentially standard now, and the methods to do it (even if it’s hard to code for) are rather well known. I remember back when I came across it, I wondered why stepping distances weren’t “jittered” a bit for each ray. Now I know that would probably darken volumes a bit, in total.

I’m still getting these artifacts since 2.72a, and now in 2.9, but I’ve noticed it’s not considered a known bug. Should I try to add it to the known bug list, or how does that kind of thing work?

4 Likes