Is there a reason why Blender (2.8) doesn’t create console logs as e.g. .txt files by default? Especially in Windows this would help.
I was using someone’s add-on and a combination of functions resulted in a bug. I want to report it to the developer (in my case as a GitHub issue), but this came along with many issues. Especially on Windows (7).
Issues (on Windows)
- First solution you find is to do:
Toggle System Console. Problem is that if you do this after the error, the console shows only about 25 lines of error Traceback.
- Copying from the console is a horrible experience in Windows (right-mouse button on Blender logo on the console -> Edit -> Mark -> Select text -> Enter).
- Format of copied output with Mark is horrible.
- Have the console window open before the error occurs.
- Start Blender with
C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\blender_debug_log.cmd, which creates logs in
Problems with solutions
- Default for non-developers is to not have a System Console open, or start with .cmd option.
- Information on how to get this console output in your clipboard is scarce and vague.
- From a technical side this works if you know how to reproduce this bug, but from a human perspective you add a lot of extra effort.
- You have to know that you have to right-click the Blender logo of the console (inside terminal doesn’t work)
- You have to redo the bug after applying 1 of the solutions to get the error code.
- It’s hard to explain how to do this for a not so technical user.
A semi-computer knowledgeable person who just quickly wants to help an add-on developer might not want to overcome all this trouble, meaning bugs can go long unreported.
- Automatically log console output / errors (but with a check on file size)
- Create a menu entry to quickly get error traceback that can be explained in 1 screenshot.
- Ask permission before putting stuff on people’s hard drive (in splash screen?)
- Defaults can get you into wars
- Users don’t opt-in by default if they’re not aware that it is possible (improving the blender experience-®-™-©-2019 for the most amount of people with the least amount of resources )
- Crash logs can help find more common bugs, which can help setting priorities.
Discussion about this issue (logs disappears in 30 days): blender.chat #blender-coders (https://blender.chat/channel/blender-coders?msg=3oMn8qaSeXCKrJn7M)