Improve Cycles/EEVEE For Procedural Content Creation

Do you mean 4D as with a random phase in the other 3 dimentions, or do you mean implementind time (or any other dimention) derivative functions to sample texturing functions?
… I don’t think the latter goes well as a rendering process. :confused:

I found these two opensource procedural texture generators, maybe you can have a look at them:
http://neotextureedit.sourceforge.net/
and

NeoTexture edit has few noise types that I haven’t seen in Blender yet, anyway hope this was helpful in anyway :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Today I discovered what looked like just a 2.8 bug but is also a 2.79 bug so it’s probably a known issue that won’t be fixed soon. Box projection in image nodes get badly affected by object rotation. Even if your using a position vector or something unrelated to object info like that.

So, to solve this I tried to create my own triplanar mapping node. And I discovered two things:

One, it’s harder than I thought. There should be an easier way to make triplanar mapping like that.

Two, the same problem I’ve mentioned before arises. Do I create 3 texture image nodes mapped differently, and manually change each datablock each time I want another texture? Or do I just make a triplanar vector plugged to one texture node, but which gives me artifacts and won’t allow me to blend the edges of the textures?

In unreal engine they solve this with a different node called texture object that doesn’t take a vector, that can be used as input fo the triplanar function that takes the original vector and normals as separate inputs

2 Likes

Found this cool picture online which gives a good overview of what additional noises could achieve. Would be a great improvement to have them in Blender! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

As the “wishlist” of features grows, I’d like to remind Omar, and everyone that sometimes in GSoC student work doesn’t get finished, or is postponed due to classes, or adding too much to the preverbial “to do list”. I’d really hate that to happen for this particular project as Omar has already done great work by improving the vector mapping node and all the vector math options we have now(not to mention the clamp and remap nodes)! Already a lot of new things are available to us.

From here on, if we just got the voronoi and noise node in 4D and that’s it, I’d walk away extremely pleased.

I know we’re all thirsty for more features, but let’s take it easy a bit maybe, shall we? I’d much rather have these features in blender 2.81 than unfinished extra features pushing the master committe to next year or more.

Just a friendly reminder :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Bobo_The_Imp WHoha! think you got all you asked for in this weeks update ! @OmarEmaraDev did some amazing work this week!!

Selfish feature request (but an easy one) vector math could use a floor function still.

2 Likes

I have to admit, the mapping node may need a little more polish. It’s a little confusing to use

rotate by -18 degrees! sweet!

great now I want to procedurally drive that!

rotation is now -18 radians… and we don’t seem to offer a deg->rad or rad->deg conversion node…

10 Likes

Right, had not thought if that, but that’s a good point. Might want to inform Omar on the conversion part. I know in Jaques luckes animation nodes, there are deg -> rad and rad -> deg nodes.

1 Like

Playing further a vector clamp would be useful as well, to keep texture rotates in the 0…1 range

UV rotate without clamping

With clamping.

it’s not that hard to do with a node group, still having a build in node would be nice.

also being able to specify the center of rotation would be nice as well, i find me self doing a lot of the node equivalent of :

UV = Rotate(UV- BrickWidth/2, angle) + Brickwidth/2

over and over, once more it’s not overly complicated but it sure makes messy graphs quickly.

8 Likes

Adding a Smoothing slider to the White Noise node might also be a handy addition because it could create simple value noise without the performance hit of a full Voronoi noise with a jitter of 0.

2 Likes

Hey Omar, in terms of the white noise node, is there anyway to “scale” up the noise. Currently it creates a super fine white noise which is fantastic:

but it would be nice if we could get larger scale noise as well, sort of like this:

I tried using the vector mapping node and decreased the scale but it didn’t enlarge it. So in that first gif I used a math node set to greater than to try and create more black than white but it’s still super fine. Is there anyway to do this currently? If not I wonder if it could be added? After the other items on your list, of course, the white noise node is already very nice as is.

2 Likes

I added a patch for vector rotation with an input for Origin.

https://developer.blender.org/D3789

It would be nice to see this option added to the new mapping node.

8 Likes

Alright, I will come back to the Vector Math node later.

I see, I am not sure how we should handle this. Would a Convert Angle node does the job?

I think that this would needlessly complicate the node. I wouldn’t mind a separate node though like the one @Charlie added. We probably need to ask Brecht about this.

I would like to keep things simple, white noise should be for white noise and white noise only. I suppose we can look into adding a separate Value Noise.

Just insert a Vector Math Snap node before the white noise and you will get exactly this. Example:

You will also need a less than 0.5 node to get the exact result you have above.

1 Like

Oh sorry, I gave you the wrong idea. The example image I had was very zoomed in so you could see the individual pixels in the photoshop document. I don’t actual mean the kind of effect that the snap funtion will give. I mean more like the small points of white being larger or smaller.

In this image the dots are quiet large, vs the very fine points we have currently. That’s what I meant to convey.

1 Like

Not sure I understand what you mean. If you want smaller dots, just reduce the snap vector:

2 Likes

Oh I see now. Actually this is what I’m looking for. Thank you !

I entirely agree. Imho there will be a window after gsoc, and i’d see myself switch from cloud to devfund just to get this done and support this work by omar.

2 Likes

@OmarEmaraDev do you have interest in continuing your work on Blender after you’re finished with your studies? I would love to see you continue your work. I and, I’m sure, a lot of other people here would petition to get you added as a full time developer and help round up the funds needed. I’m truly impressed with what you’ve accomplished in such a short time.

1 Like

Am I interested in contributing to Blender outside of GSoC? Yes, definitely. I have been part of the Blender community for years and I would love to contribute in any way possible, if allowed. I promise you that I will git commit myself to Blender and open source for the next three years, and I don’t need to get paid to do that, I have nothing better to do anyway :smile:.

26 Likes

Bless you :pray:
(A post must be atleast 20 characters long)

2 Likes