GSoC 2024: Sprucing up the Video Sequencer (Weekly Reports)

Hello! My name is John Swenson, and over the summer I’ll be working on various improvements to the video sequencer, including linked strips, preview snapping, and more.

I’ve already implemented a couple changes for VSE, including a patch for snapping to markers and a bugfix for scene strip wireframe display.

You can check out a first draft of the features at my original proposal.

I will also update the proposal going forward based on the community’s thoughts/concerns at this dedicated feedback thread.

I look forward to improving the VSE experience this summer!

13 Likes

May 27 - 31

This week I started on the patch for snapping in the preview, since Aras and I agreed that it’s the least ambiguous feature with respect to UI issues and so would be good to tackle first (still need to figure out a clear design for active channels, which can come later). So far I have UI done, and I’m currently drafting changes to the internals in as simple a manner as possible.

Also submitted a fix for preview overlay polling, which makes it more obvious that preview overlays are disabled for different display types and reorganizes the overlay menu a bit (building on Pablo’s changes)

6 Likes

June 3 - June 7

I’ve been continuing work on snapping for the VSE Preview, and made quite a bit of progress.
In the meantime, I’ve been finding and fixing a few bugs related to snapping:

I plan to land VSE preview snapping next week so that it can be tested before moving on to linked strips (which should be easier to implement)

5 Likes

June 10 - June 14

I have finished writing the code for preview snapping and submitted the patch for review: #122759 - Add snapping in VSE Preview - blender - Blender Projects
preview-snapping-ezgif.com-cut

Once a build is made, please give it a try and let me know what you think in the feedback thread. : )

13 Likes

June 17 - June 21

This week was mostly code review and changes to the preview snapping patch based on feedback.

I also started planning out a design for linked strips, and will likely have more updates on this in the coming weeks.

2 Likes

June 24 - 28

This week, while continuing linked strips progress, I found and fixed a number of bugs, improving retiming keys:

These fixes are all based on 4.2 and so should be included with the LTS version.

Linked strips functionality is nearly done and I expect to land it by next week.

2 Likes