GSoC 2024: Sample Sound Node - Feedback

This is the feedback thread of GSoC 2024 project: Sample Sound Node. The full proposal can be viewed here, and weekly reports will be listed here.

Please feel free to share your opinions on it!

9 Likes

Hi ! last update looks like it is beautifully taking shape. I don’t have much to comment on except for the choice of locating the window and FFT size parameters in the sidebar. In practice, few nodes do this, and I am aware of a few situations where users were never aware of some “sidebar-only” properties because they assumed its contents exactly mirrored those in the nodes (learned in conversations on blenderartists.org). I honestly don’t know of any guidelines as to which parameters should end up there.
My preference would however be in favor of keeping everything in the node, for the following reason : since last release it has been made possible for users to create enums, as well as connect enum sockets to group input nodes, making nodegroups that much more flexible. Allowing this with the sample sound node would surely be a plus, assuming there isn’t some technical blocker preventing it.

All in all this looks very exciting for motion graphics, and I’m sure other use cases will become evident !

Hadrien

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the feedback! :smile: I apologize for not checking this thread for a while, and the response for your feedback was missed in last week’s work.

However, your point of keeping those parameters explicit for better user experience (also to enable customization in node groups) is totally valid. I’ll check with my mentor in the coming week and see if we can come up with a more sophisticated design on the user interface.

1 Like