GSoC 2021 : Video Sequence Editor strip previews and modification indicators - Feedback

not yet, I have been working on the thumbnail parallel caching job. Its in the branch if someone wants it, but there is still i think one or two bugs to sort out. So mostly after that there will be a new build.

3 Likes

A new build has been created and its in the website now.

Points to note - it is buggy and i think it crashes when you delete all strips from the editor. Other than that it should be fine. I had fixed those bugs I was talking about and it was working smoothly, but the performance was bad, so the last week I tried to improve it, but college work got in the way. I have done some hack to make it faster (its in the build), still have to put it in a proper form. I don’t have any real scenario testing file so anyone who has used VSE in the past and have that file it would be great if you could test it and give any feedback.

2 Likes

The strips work nice and fast here, well done!

When resizing, would it make sense to use a cached image either side of the slot while that tile is getting rendered, rather than show a solid color? :thinking:

that is a good suggestion, something like showing the previous frames itself, but once job is done only then I update the drawing.

2 Likes

You probably know this, but at certain zoom levels there is a 1 px wide gap between the first and the second image. Doing ex. transforming this gap seems to flicker, and so does the pixels of the first image. Maybe it’s a rounding or variable precision issue?

yes ik that happens, its regarding the IMB_crop, need to see where exactly a rounded value is sent

The code is in master finally! There were some tweaks left, and the Blender devs had some suggestions that @iss and I did, but it is a much better version now than before. If anyone finds any bugs, it can be put as a separate task in d.b.o.

@MalDuffin The solid colour isn’t shown now, it is all images. Some wizardy of @iss there to get the closest frame to show if the images are available.

19 Likes

congratulations! Will test it in the next couple of days!

2 Likes

Amazing. Thank you!!!

Do I need to activate any special command? It isn’t working on my end.

By default thumbnails are turned off, you can turn it on in the overlay panel on the right side, there is a checkbox for thumbnails

7 Likes

By default thumbnails are turned off

Are they stable and well tested enough now to turn on by default?

There are still some issues that should be improved, mainly performance.

TODO’s are tracked here ⚓ T91618 VSE thumbnails improvements