GSoC 2020: Soft Body Sim - Weekly Reports

That one does not have self collision. The boxing character appears to be one from mixamo, which is simply set as an obstacle (collision object). The monkey mesh is the soft body. Any collision objects added to the scene will be picked up by the soft body solver and treated as immovable obstacles.

1 Like

Thank you mattoverby, for the answer.

This is the file updated so you can investigate better.

1 Like

Wellā€¦ Iā€™m here to show a test with multiple softbodies interacting and it looks right for meā€¦ a little jittering but this effect is the same with cloth modifier but I can get rid of it by increasing the quality steps of cloth simulations and cloth collision quality as well, maybe increasing the steps of the solver here will also work but thereā€™s another issueā€¦ This simulation took almost 4 hours!!!

I will share the original simulation test I did but using blender cloth with pressure(after almost 4 hours o baking I noticed that the upper cube needs to go down a little further)
In this example all spheres are merged in the same object and they collide by self-collision:

7 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to set it up :slight_smile: . This is an interesting set up. So each ball is an independent soft body, but also set as a collision object. A way to view whatā€™s happening is that when one ball is simulating, it ā€œfreezesā€ all of the other balls in time and pretends they are immovable obstacles. I would expect a lot more jittering than what we are seeing. The balls arenā€™t responding to each other within the same time step, and these are especially large time steps (1/24s !!!), unless something else was used in the bake?

Looking at the resolution, weā€™ve got 12 balls at 1880 tets and 611 verts each, so a simulated domain of 22560 tets and 7332 vertices. Thatā€™s not very high, so it should be reasonable fast.

The reason why itā€™s slow: treating the deformable models as immovable obstacles. Collision obstacles are treated differently than deformables in how they preprocessed. A high-ish resolution signed distance field is computed for every obstacle whenever it changes shape/location. Including the moving box and casing, each time step, 12*13=156 high res signed distance fields are computed! Yikes.

I think from a user standpoint that important detail is not clear - I really need to put together a manual when I get some free time!

But anyway, the SDF computation is not fast. Itā€™s the bottleneck of that annoying frame=1 computation. So, this is certainly why the bake took 4 hours, and not the solver.

3 Likes