GSoC 2020 : idea to improve the custom menu idea

Hi, Amazing work so far, I have a kind of UX suggestion.
Currently, when assigning the same shortcut to multiple ops blender picks the first one on the list.
I think making under the hood a new custom menu will be super cool.

1 Like

Hi everyone !
The Google Summer of code is finished and we hope the final version will please you.
Of course many improvements can be made and new features can be added, so I hope you will try the current build to report potentials bugs and crashes, as well as give feedback.
You can get a look at the final report here.

edit : link to the build

Thank for your feedback and suggestions !

19 Likes

I can’t wait to see it in master, it’s going to be a godsend! I see macro and custom bar were finally decided against, that’s too bad…do you know if there is any way to link a script as a menu item?

Anyway, great job, congrats! And thanks a lot for all the work you’ve put into it!

great job, this will improve UX a lot!

Hi. I have downloaded the build (the 33bc2f738f604a24b57555c4acad80ea.7z file from GraphicAll) but when I launched Blender.exe, here is what I saw in the Preferences window :

… there’s nothing.

I believe you need to delete your user.prefs. The user pref save files are incompatible.

1 Like

Is this Project still in development, BTW?
I’ve just bought the sculpt- and paintwheel addon on the blender market and was reminded again how awesome this kind of customization thing can be for display tablet users.

4 Likes

hey @Tempo what’s the status? Or did you lose interest in this project? This was one of my favorite GSoC projects last year!

4 Likes

I mean … it seems that the project was somewhat finished but never finalized or pulled into the main branch:
https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Tempo/GSoC2020/Final_Report

Sad to see. It reads rather useable in it’s last state.
I’d really love to know just what the final status on this is. :no_mouth:

6 Likes

Yeah it would be useful to know what is missing for a merge in master. Idk who was the mentor of this project but maybe he could clarify what still needs to be done. Or @Tempo ?

4 Likes

Yeah, i dont understand why

Actually, pretty familiar team members also very ling team members of Blender Foundation
Campbell Barton, Dalai Felinto

The Code was so far from done and also had remaining todos, I checked the code recently and found main has changed a lot so bringing the code to current is a huge task and finishing the remaining TODOs will take a lot of time.

2 Likes

Aw damn. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:
Hope it might get picked up another GSoC or maybe even in a revamped design form. Thanks for checking.

2 Likes