GSoC 2019: Outliner Branch Testing

The point is, this is a single click operation even in other apps, cuz this is a toggle, it’s meant to be quick and easy to toggle them.

That’s a single click right there. Double click to switch cameras would be too tedious.

The fear happening here is pointless.

3 Likes

That’s how cinema (it seems) work, not other apps (maya doesn’t for example) , the point is that the single click has already been assigned, hence finding an alternative :slight_smile:

I hadn’t considered renaming camera data. However, this still fits in with the design. The same could be said for activating mesh data (which switches to edit mode) and wanting to rename the mesh data from the outliner. Now, that doesn’t mean the current design is flawless. I see a couple ways this could go:

• Prevent naming of datablocks from outliner
  • Context menu for rename or activate

I don’t think double click would be a useful idea, as it is already mapped to rename.

In that example you are switching the cameras by clicking on a separate icon (seems to be used for just this one purpose?), not on the camera name.
Anyways, I was just remarking that it could be confusing for users if selecting the camera data also switched the active camera.
How about using the context menu?

EDIT: how about clicking on the camera icon of the camera data sets it as active, (but not when clicking on the name)?

you can make double click behave differently when it is perfurmed on text vs icons.
microsoft file explorer do a rename on text and an open on icon for examble
this will open up double click on icon for other uses

1 Like

We don’t need to go to the camera data anymore. Clicking on the icon as suggested here, is working great already. :slight_smile: The only problem is that it doesn’t toggle the viewport into camera view automatically as suggested here. I hope we can get that.

I have not looked into switching into the camera view automatically yet, but I took note on my list.

6 Likes

Maybe when clicking on light/camera icon is select an object and automatic open properties for light/camera?

11 Likes

Maybe possibility to ctrl/alt (or other shortcut) click on triangle to close all collections.

6 Likes

Properties editor syncing should be more straight forward and simpler than that. Whatever you have selected in the outliner, the properties editor should display it’s object data automatically, no need to click on the icon.
Clicking on the icons should be for more specific actions, similar to what the camera icon is doing right now.

5 Likes

If I remember correctly, one of the latest branch I tried I had to keep ctrl pressed in order to make many object as child of another one, can this be avoided and just make the workflow more streamlined like simply dragging the selected objects to a parent?

Any news on the Properties editor syncing?

I got fellows crying for this everyday :smile:

11 Likes

Properties Editor sync could even be an option, potentially, next to Synced Selection. Enabled by default of course.

6 Likes

Here is a small talk about the parenting using a key modifier:

5 Likes

I was just wondering if there is a reason to make it optional, are there any use cases where syncing could be undesirable (be it selection syncing with viewport or properties editor)? Could these options maybe be moved to settings instead (it would feel less cluttered IMHO)?

1 Like

I also prefer not to add options. But what if you have several Properties editors? They would then all switch context.

Although then again it may be ok since we have pinning.

If we don’t have the option we just need to be more cautious and do more testing.

2 Likes

@ThinkingPolygons @Regnas Everything related to properties syncing is now being discussed here: https://developer.blender.org/T63991

This is possible with Shift+A to toggle open/close of all trees. Also, click+drag to open/close disclosure triangles makes this process easy.

Yes, I would really love to avoid holding ctrl to parent in view layer display mode. I have yet to ask why this was a decision, perhaps because collection management has higher priority. I don’t see any issues though, and it shouldn’t be too hard to fix.

2 Likes

Is it possible now to delete stuff in the outliner by pressing the “delete” key?

4 Likes

I found two issues when working on big scenes that have many grouped objects and collections:

1-If I select an object that has many child and try to move to a new collection, only the parent is moved without the child. To bypass this I have first to select hierarchy and then move it to a new collection which makes the workflow not smooth at all. Moreover, if I’m just clicking on the viewport and sending the objects to a new collection from there this is counterproductive.

2- If I have all the collections collapsed and I select one object in the viewport, there is no visual cue over the outliner in what collection that object is. Of course I can press “.” over the outliner to view show active, but again is not a smooth workflow since I have to jump from viewport to collection.

Hope all this makes sense.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is a larger fix than it first appeared. We want X to delete the entire selection, but we currently have two operators, one to delete objects, and the other to delete collections. So the operators need to be rewritten to work on both. I haven’t taken the time to fix this yet as I have been working on fixing all of my existing changes for code review. It is planned though! https://developer.blender.org/T67462

This is confusing, thank you for pointing this out.

There actually is a cue.

The highlight behind the +99 objects under the Spring Collection shows that the active object is somewhere within the Spring collection. I have thought to highlight the row of a collection that contains the active object, but having an additional highlight type in the outliner is confusing.

1 Like