GSoC 2018 - Bevel Improvements

Thx Howard :wink:

3 Likes

Yes, lsscpp, have a bevel of any size regardless of underlying geometry will be my next big project on bevel. But right now Iā€™m working on making Boolean better, and that is likely to take several more months.

11 Likes

Sorry Howard, I didnā€™t mean to put pressure in any way. And I know I already asked this :wink:
The fact is that the moment I saw that slider doing the job I thought ā€œwow, all the calculations are right there, behind that single operator!ā€

1 Like

@pablodp606 @Howard_Trickey @HooglyBoogly

Maybe conversing with Pablo would be useful. The discussions here may help with other areas of development, and could help create a more unified tool system.

Pabloā€™s Twitter: Blueprint tool

Blender Today: Live #71

1 Like

I found another issue with bevels and I werenā€™t sure if itā€™s a bug or a known limitation so I thought Iā€™d post it here before filing a bug-report. I were trying out some pretty simple shapes with bevel modifiers and bevels earlier and found that the roundness of the bevel is very dependent on the underlying topology as underlying edges can skew your fillets a lot. Hereā€™s a picture demonstrating the problem in itā€™s simplest form:

Top image is just a plane (without any depth) with a thinner section extruded out, the image below is the same as the top, just without the wireframe to make it easier to see the problem, the middle one is same shape just given some depth/thickness, right image is same as the proceeding one just with two loopcuts pushed up slightly which reintroduces the problem. The second model almost works but itā€™s not quite perfect, the third image just reintroduces the problem.

I did a quick attempt in Max just to see how it was handled in there and it had the inverted issue where the flat shape was fine but issues cropped up with the two other variants. Iā€™m not sure if there is a solution to this problem, but I thought it might be worth highlighting just to be sure.

Let me know if I should post this as a bugreport instead.

1 Like

I canā€™t really tell from this picture what your model is, sorry. I need a .blend file.
Often when bevel makes an unexpectedly distorted shape, the reason is that object had a non-uniform scale applied; could that be the case here? Another reason for distortion is when ā€˜Loop slideā€™ is enabled; does disabling that fix things?

2 Likes

Hereā€™s the blendfile with all three of those examples:

I tried applying all transformations, and turning off loopslide as well as playing around with different width methods, but I couldnā€™t find one that gave me a satisfactory result.

1 Like

OK, thanks for the .blend.
For me, bevel is working as intended here. Let me explain with the first example, where Iā€™ve specified 2 segments for the bevel.

Iā€™ve put a duplicate of the object behind the beveled one, and used wireframe view, so you can see the original shape.

Since you are beveling an edge (the diagonal one), and since the ā€œwidth methodā€ is ā€œOffsetā€ what is supposed to happen is that we move two edges away from the original one, parallel to it but on different sides of it. The move distance is equal to the offset amount. As you can see, Bevel has done exactly that in this case.

You could get more of what you desire by using the ā€œPercentā€ method offset, but that is only really satisfactory if the adjacent sides have similar lengths.

You could also get more of what you desire by beveling the vertices (ā€œVertex onlyā€) at the end of the edge, though that admittedly adds a lot more geometry if that diagonal edge is there.

As to why the second model in your sequence (the one with depth) seems to behave better: thatā€™s because you also have given bevel weight to the vertical edges (that you canā€™t see from your top view) adjacent to the diagonal edge. For those edges too, bevel tries to make equal width strips on either side, and when it does so, because the side edges meet at right angles, the curve is not skewed. Note that this fights with the desire to make the diagonal edge have equal-sized strips on either side: it is impossible to satisfy both, so Bevel has to compromise. Luckily in this case it chose the non-skewed edge to prefer to make the spec match.

2 Likes

Can I ask that we stop using this thread to talk about future Bevel Improvements, since we have moved way past the title of this thread (GSoC 2018 - Bevel Improvements). And it is quite long. Of course you can finish any thoughts related to what has been posted here already, but the next person with a new Bevel suggestion or possible bug, please start a new thread called something more general, like ā€œBevel Improvementsā€. Thanks.

8 Likes

I think the problem is that the offset is very far from being even right now. I counted the grid spaces in your image and the offset on the horizontal line is 7 times bigger than it is on the vertical one, so it seems like something is going awry. I did try using vertex-bevels instead and, like you said, it works a lot better for this shape. Hereā€™s a picture of the problem on a similar mesh, with the desired result colored white and selected:

Only problem is that if the shape isnā€™t flat vertex-bevels will give you other problems, hereā€™s another picture showing what I mean:

The first model is using a regular edgebevel that becomes skewed like mentioned earlier, second one is using a vertex bevel with the edge intact (causes shading errors), third one doesnā€™t have an edge so it just shades as a flat polygon and the forth one shows the desired result created using the preceding one with a manually tessellated bevel (which locks you into the shape so you canā€™t easily modify it afterwards). Hereā€™s a blendfile with those models..

It would be great if the modifier could output some rounder results without needing any manual cleanup. I ran the last test in Max and that gave me the desired bevel immediately, so I would think itā€™s possible to achieve in Blender as well.

Thanks for having a look at this, Howard!

1 Like

I disagree with ā€œthe offset is very far from being even right nowā€. The offset is measured perpendicularly to the edge being beveled. If you look at the picture I showed, the perpendicular distance from the orange edge to each of the blue edges is exactly equal.

The unevenness you donā€™t like is a different kind of unevenness ā€“ the distance moved along the two adjacent unbeveled edges. The only thing that bevel has right now that is close to that is the ā€˜Percentā€™ offset mode. But Percent lets you say the percentage of the adjacent unbeveled edge to move along; what you want is to specify the absolute distance to move along those adjacent edges, thereby having them equal. I suppose I could consider adding an additional offset type, called something like ā€œAdjacentā€, to do that. Sounds like you really want that. Any others listening in here have the same feeling?

10 Likes

I would like it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dev1 - I donā€™t know what you mean. There is only one edge being beveled.

1 Like

@Howard_Trickey @RobinKarlsson

Wouldnā€™t beveling those edges independently with the same bevel profile work? If so, couldnā€™t a multi bevel option using groups work?

General workflow

1. Select bevel modifier: multi bevel
  2. Make a bevel selection. (Bevel #1)
  3. Make another bevel selection. (Bevel #2)
  4. Edit bevel profile parameters.
  5. Apply bevel profile.

Bevel #1 and bevel #2 would be considered independent selections/bevel groups. Each would be beveled using the same bevel modifier presets. (A make Quads or Tris function could be used if the vertices are connected.)

I hope the above helps.

me too :+1:
intersting option for less artistic and more mechanical bevel

1 Like

Dev1, I think you are imagining that the black corner edges are the ones being beveled, so that you could do them independently? They are not. There is only one edge being beveled here ā€“ the one underneath the orange one, and it is being beveled along its length, not at the ends. The thing that happens at the ends is just the ā€œtermination patternā€ for the beveled edge. And that pattern is determined by where the beveled edgeā€™s offset edges meet the unbeveled (black, corner) edges. Which, as I was explaining to RobinKarlsson, is dictated by the ā€œWidth modeā€ being ā€œoffsetā€.

1 Like

@Howard_Trickey

Okay, that makes sense. The bevel is being applied to the edge connecting the two vertices of the intersecting geometry (the corners).

Instead of selecting the edge the vertices could be selected, then beveled. Anyway, the following concept should work for such a use case;

General Workflow

1. User selection: Edge
  2. Modifier: Bevel
  3. Bevel amount: (defined by the user)
  4. Bevel offset amount: (defined by the user)
  5. Bevel offset type: Relative
  6. Relative to: Vertex
  7. Apply: Bevel

Behavior

• Bevel amount: defines the number of subdivisions.
  • Bevel offset amount: defines the distance between the subdivisions.
  • Bevel offset type: defines the bevel offsetā€™s behavior (starting point). (Relative to the vertex of the selected edge.)
1 Like

Yes, would be a nice addition

OK, Iā€™ll add the offset type of ā€œEven distance moved along adjacent edgesā€. It wonā€™t be hard to add. Iā€™m going to wait until the dust settles with the 2.80 release before doing this, however.
Any suggestions for what this ā€œwidth typeā€ should be called? I was thinking of ā€œAdjacentā€, but open to suggestions for better names. Donā€™t want it to be too long (and strongly prefer a single word), so that the drop down menu and list of buttons in the modifier doesnā€™t get awkward to fit.

9 Likes

ā€œisobevelā€. ok answer needs more characters. 0:50 interesting way to consider UV after bevels https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpDFg1rh_nE