Geometry Nodes

This message was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 500 replies.

(Nevermind the noise, I was exploring the moderation tools and ended up making this temporarily a closed post)

2 Likes

Bring back this functionality for 2.93. It was removed/broken for no good reason.

1 Like

Thanks for the build.
I was waiting for this feature ( distribute in volume ),
I tried it, but I don’t think it’s the best approach or am I missing sth.
This node distribute points in the volume generated around the vertices of the object generated by the point to volume node. For example , if you fill a cube , it will only generate points around the corners.
So it doesn’t fill the entirety of the object equally but focus around the original vertices, and if you want more points inside you increase the radius of the volume and so you loose the original shape.

1 Like

Right, but that’s solved by simply adding a “Mesh to Volume” node, just like the modifier.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the answer, but I don’t find this node ( Mesh to Volume ) node in geometry nodes.

If you have 2.93 it will be in the Volume node category

Right, exactly, I guess “adding” could be interpreted in a few different contexts. I meant add it as in add a new feature :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:sweat_smile:, I thought they added this node, and I was searching for it?

If they added it, then it must be very recent and I missed it. The build you have was branched from master 6 days ago and I haven’t seen a commit for mesh to volume in the diffusion yet (maybe I missed it).

Yes, that is the expected result, currently you can only create spheres of volumes around points in geo nodes. The “Point Distribute Volume” node works on volumes as inputs and isn’t responsible for how the volume is generated.

Oops sorry, my confusion I was conflating Points to Volume and Volume to Mesh

I searched methods for making arrays of instances and thought what can help to make em just inside GN.
And here the shortest way I can see:

1. Point generator. Just generates N points on origin.
  2. Allow us to read point`s indices. And it would be possible to make insane shapes with position/rotation as functuion from index.

I saw, @Erindale already made arrays, but he use Array modifier + drivers for feedback. AFAIK, drivers and scripts aren`t fast

Of course, point generator may be more complex and include quantity and rules for position and rotation, depending on index/quantity proportion.

1 Like

Also. There is still no ability to add group input and output. So if I want to add second, I need to duplicate first. If I suddenly deleted output, and then made a lot of work with nodes, I forced to create empty tree, copy output there, switch back, paste output node.

So why can`t I just add group input/output?
Just case, when you need more than one input:
изображение

Have you seen this? It’s what all my groups are designed around adopting

https://developer.blender.org/D10573

1 Like

Thanks for link. Haven`t seen it before, subscribed.
I am glad, it is already started and hope it will be released.

thanks,
are you considering another approach that is more like, the fill volume (random and grid) in the particle system ?