Geometry Nodes

For now yes, that page is the only reference to look for built-in attributes, but it’s already planned to have a dropdown menu with a list of built-in and user-made attributes: https://developer.blender.org/T85280

3 Likes

Okay cool.
Typed attributes (for that reason) without easy to access documentation always give me a little bit of cold sweat, as I am sure there is a LOT to miss while the nodes are super powerful, when you know what to type.

I imagine this is how it feels like having to fix a warp-core without anyone to tell you what to do. XD

I made a video that might help you! Also you can find more information about most of them in the Blender Manual

2 Likes

Just adding some mesh culling tools to my pack and I think these would open up some cool options but I’ve run into trouble. If I add instance objects and join to my surface that creates the Mesh Mask, the vertex group is voided and the Mask modifier won’t work.
If I mask my mesh and then afterwards add another GN tree with the point instancing, the distribution changes wildly with the different mesh.

I found that using hair particles instead of GN to instance the objects was able to maintain a fixed location for all instances, but the child particles were moving all over.

Is there any way around this at present?

@MarkStead I did a little test over here between your and my camera culling nodes. Yours was 29% faster which is pretty massive! I’d be interested to see again how mine stacks up once we get the Attribute Processor and / or Attribute Vector Rotate node as mine is completely reliant on Attribute Math / Vector math at the moment.

My test was pretty basic, just a plane instancing a UV Sphere. I adjusted the `Object Size Factor’ on yours and the padding on mine until we had similar numbers of instances on the first frame (5001 and 5000 respectively). The camera had a simple #sin(frame/50) driver to handle the panning for consistency and I ran each one for 500 frames.

Yours took 104.47 seconds to hit 500 frames (4.79 fps) and mine was 134.35 seconds (3.72fps).

3 Likes

Coool!! how can we test it ?

Hi devs, I’m wondering what’ll be the use case for value sockets on the Group Output node? As far as I know this is not functional yet.
Just recently I needed to split my procedural workflow by adding another modifier(Weld) after Geo Nodes modifier to do some necessary processing and then get back to Geo nodes.
In the first GN modifier I expose a value and I’d still need to be able to access it in the next Geo Nodes modifier.
In the screenshot below I connected exposed input value to socket on Group Output node and I’d expect that this way I can access it by any GN modifier on the object they’re used on.

2 Likes

It’s useful when you create a group inside a nodetree, you can then do some multi-output.

2 Likes

Ahh of course thanks, I haven’t thought about it from this perspective at all as I haven’t needed to create a sub group so far.

1 Like

This message was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 500 replies.

(Nevermind the noise, I was exploring the moderation tools and ended up making this temporarily a closed post)

2 Likes

Bring back this functionality for 2.93. It was removed/broken for no good reason.

1 Like

Thanks for the build.
I was waiting for this feature ( distribute in volume ),
I tried it, but I don’t think it’s the best approach or am I missing sth.
This node distribute points in the volume generated around the vertices of the object generated by the point to volume node. For example , if you fill a cube , it will only generate points around the corners.
So it doesn’t fill the entirety of the object equally but focus around the original vertices, and if you want more points inside you increase the radius of the volume and so you loose the original shape.

1 Like

Right, but that’s solved by simply adding a “Mesh to Volume” node, just like the modifier.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the answer, but I don’t find this node ( Mesh to Volume ) node in geometry nodes.

If you have 2.93 it will be in the Volume node category

Right, exactly, I guess “adding” could be interpreted in a few different contexts. I meant add it as in add a new feature :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:sweat_smile:, I thought they added this node, and I was searching for it?