Geometry Nodes

Now, random on thousand instances. Red Nose :smiley:

2 Likes

101 instances.

4 Likes

This will work for now but it is the same as that

I am done for today.

8 Likes

Great… maybe a get_active_camera node too… with main properties like fov, resolution, clips, type, shift, position, rotate… for camera culling and anothers camera based things…

2 Likes

hey guys, quick question, is there a way to get the velocity from an object to geo node right now ? can we do something to the position node to get the velocity ?

1 Like

It’s available here

3 Likes

Is random value not able to produce a single value? The socket should be a dotted diamond, not a diamond.

The ID input has implicit field in it so it outputs a field by default, just connect a single value to ID and it will output a single value.

1 Like

Thanks for the help!

This is strange and unintuitive. Blender can’t expect me to know that these sockets change somewhat unpredictably with no indicator.
GifMaker_20211017193413296

I thought the point of the dotted diamond was to show that the socket could be either be a field or a single value. I had assumed that since the ID value was hidden, it should implicitly default to a common index. At least an enum to change between single and unique index would be appriciated.

1 Like

I have proposed an idea of making the seed an offset of the actual seed and have a checkbox for choosing output to be constant or field, but they in the end went with Simon’s idea of two seed sockets, with the first seed renamed to ID and have implicit index field input. I think it is acceptable because single random value is not so big of a need comparing with random fields. At least now if you are scattering instances and do random rotation and scale, you don’t need to manually connect the index node to all of the random nodes and add math nodes in between each of them to manually control the seed. I think the current behavior is acceptable.

Hover on the socket, the socket inspection tooltip will tell you

Diamond with a dot means it is a field socket but single value is welcomed as well. Diamond without dot means this is a field socket and it currently has a field in it. A round socket means it is single value only.

2 Likes

I’m trying to wrap my head around the selection inputs and how to make selections.

Is the behavior in the gif expected? In the translate node my selection is using instance ID’s (as intended) whereas in the set material node the selection refers to face IDs of all instances. How could I drive this so the selection is using the same domain that is being used in the translate node?

any pointers how to debug or view/print selections would be very much appreciated.
cheers
index_andMats

To me, it seems that this is the expected behavior.

I think you want the material to change (on the whole individual cube) as soon as it is translated.
If so, then I think you need Epsilon to be a high value, and play with the “Value” node (the one below Index). Though I haven’t tested my theory, because it seems I’m missing the “Translate Instances” node.

1 Like

ok thanks for confirming

you are right about what I was trying to achieve, following your lead here does not play out as hoped for me however… I’ll have to play some more

thank you

I think I made a mistake. Somehow I thought you used Geometry Proximity in your setup, but you actually used Indexes only.

So in the end, I can’t confirm that the behavior is normal…

Then why is the id socket a diamond without a dot by default? How is one supposed to know that a single value would be useful in any case? And how is a beginner supposed to guess that another node is needed to achieve this effect?

In 2.93, random float had it’s own node, so obviously generating single values was used often enough.

I think a Boolean checkbox value named “single value” would be enough. When the value is set to 0, the node looks and acts the same. When set to 1, the ID socket disappears and everything is evaluated on a common index.

3 Likes

Hey everyone
Gentle reminder that we’ll enter in bcon3 soon (might get delayed btw), so if you see important problems in the current state that need attention, now is the time to speak :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have to agree, this is the most undiscoverable thing. The ID should have a number input field too (field, as in the interface widget where you enter a number), so that it defaults to a value (still accepting fields, as indicated by the socket shape).

I think that until the problem of rendering attributes in eevee is not fixed (not including the experimental view of vertex color in development extras mode in the settings), it is worth postponing bcon3.

Just make this real via python

Capture d’écran 2021-10-18 183153

Note that it’s not an ideal behavior, ideally it should switch per area context
check here

8 Likes

Ok I see where the confusion comes from.

So it’s like this, all field sockets can accept single values, no matter dotted or not.

Dotted means: It does not have a field in it. So it’s either empty or has a single value connected.
Non-Dot Diamond means: It already has a field connection. If you didn’t connect it, it’s an implicit connection.

So whenever you see a diamond shape without a dot it means it already has a field in it, if you connect a single value to it, you are replacing the field with a single value, therefore turning it into a dotted diamond.

The implicit field connection is also expected, it was written in the original proposal:

I hope this is clear enough

6 Likes