[Feature Suggestion] - Distributed Rendering (Viewport & Render Command)

Hello everyone,

I’m new to the forums so I don’t know if this is the right place to make the suggestion. I come from a C4D / Maya background and I’ve been migrating more and more toward blender. So first of all a big thank you for the amazing piece of software all the devs have managed to put together.

Recently I’ve stumbled across this while doing a project on blender… certainly we can prototype using Evee and to some extent using Cycles (specially with the new RTX updates). None the less there is a limit to the number of GPU’s you can put in a computer and then if becomes a bottleneck for creativity.

From my background most of the Render Engines I’ve used in the past include distributed rendering, allowing to tap into other computers power across the network to not only render faster an animation but also to speed the prototyping phase in the viewport or the IPR. This has proved crucial to deliver complicated scenes on time in the design phase.

Doing research I found that this feature doesn’t exist yet in Blender, a group of devs seem to be working somewhat on it but it’s still very alpha and doesn’t work really in the viewport/IPR. I’m no dev so I really don’t know what the impact this has on the current Cycles engine but it would be amazing the have this feature.

I’m also thinking in collateral benefits like people that like to work on a Mac for 3D (I know, I know, but there are some out there). If they happen to have in their studio machines with Nvidia Cards, they could tap into that processing power to preview and render.

Sorry if this isn’t the right place to post this, I will gladly move the post elsewhere if needed.

1 Like