Fast selecting 2.79 - 2.8 something going wrong

I tried - yes, really, no any problems with RMB for selecting. It work same fast as 2.79, I can’t click faster.

I try to disable some things assigned for LMB and it does not help. Looks like they assigned to LMB by default some additional checks (calculations) for new features and it slow response.

Okey, but question still on air because RMB select is A. not the solution for me, I will never use it… B. LMB in 2.79 work well, so why now I have to switch to RMB?

Once again: Attention:
no one suggests switching to the selection with the right button. I just point out the possible location of the problem. You need to contact the developers with some specific results. Type: “the choice of the left works strange, while the choice of the right works well.” This will help localize the problem.

Since I still don’t see here any one " I am the developer, what do you need " guy as I understand - “User Feedback” page on devtalk.blender.org is not something for contact with someone from dev team but just something what allow several users to talk with each other?

Let’s call Brecht here, he will help. ))

I asked because don’t have much experience in such cases and maybe this user feedback page is not the user feedback page as I understand it. So better to stop waiting here but go and try to describe this unclear problem in some way as some bug report.

There’s 1600+ open bugs to work on, most devs have their own pet projects on the side as well, as much fun as it would be for users just to summon up a dev to do their bidding, we just lack the resources for such an endeavor.

1 Like

I understand.

Look like I am the only one person in universe who find unacceptable the fact that LMB selection ( SELECTION Carl !!! ) which is now enabled by default in release version work as bad ( look at firs video ) as just doesn’t work and just broken. Such product IMHO can’t be called “release”. It’s like release new car model with broken steering wheel - all looks cool, all new and amazing ,but you can’t drive it … Haha, who care.

It just blow my mind.

2 Likes

It’s probably the right place for the right thing kind of deal, a forum makes a very poor bug tracker, too much noise to find the issues in the chatter.

If it’s a bug, best place to deal with it would be on developer.blender.org , if it’s more of a ‘you could to better if it worked like this’ the rightclickselect site would be a good place to discuss that.

1 Like

i assume u’re using the default left click select so there is this option too and aslo in the input editor, i think less pixels is better try testing will those settings and see, otherwise you have to make a nice bug report that explains it well like LazyDodo said.
vvv

2 Likes

I don’t forgive crap for myself, I do not forgive crap anyone else. This problem is not just a mistake, it is a critical mistake. Selection is the basis of modeling. If it broken, this product could not be released. I just call things by their true names.

It work before perfect, now it broken. Do I have to praise someone for making critical mistakes and then leaving it as it is? What nonsense. We look at the world from different angles.

1 Like

Your “angle” is apparently inhibiting reading comprehension as I said absolutely nothing about you changing your criticism to praise. The point is that one can criticize Blender without being insulting and caustic. That can’t be a difficult concept to grasp. Especially for something you get for free.

User can get Blender for free. But I suspect those who work on it spent their lifetime not for free but for money. We have lot of donations around Blender, we have Blender Development Fund. My angle is if someone do his work for money - he/she have to do it best as possible. If I will do some work for money and done it bad - I deserve bad words about my work. The only option in this case is to say “yes, it’s my fault, I will fix it”…

Another point - the worst advertising. Imagine I am some pro user e.g. from Maya. I heard about all this hype around this Blender 2.8 release “new horizon, industry standard, etc.” and I want to try it. After install and run I get this and after few minutes what I will do? I say you. I will say " they say amazing… useless free software junk, I just waste my time" then close it, uninstall and for long long time if not for never I will loose any interest of anything around Blender…

Because I really love Blender I have no good words for all this. If someone disagree with me because of that - I can live with it.

At this point - enough. I see no one dev on devtalks interest of this. I really just waste my time.

1 Like

mano-wii is the dev that is working on boost up of the select tool, and has already answered a few comments above …
However the problem apparently is in the assignment of the functionality of the click type and not in the instrument itself.
it’s not even a real bug, but an oversight.

Boy, how passionate and fiery are you?
hehehe.

ps. next time, create a bugreport here:
https://developer.blender.org/

Funny thing is I actually agree with you on a lot of this. Particularly the “bad advertising” point. It’s much easier to hear your points and to empathize when one doesn’t have to dodge the fire & brimstone raining down. Anyways, people aren’t interested in our squabbling, obviously, so peace.

Interesting, I don’t select that fast most of the time, also in that particular case I would do something like shift + ctrl to select a “topological square/rectangle”, another trick I do for selecting, is setting my key config to shift + scroll wheel up/down to select next/previous and shift + ctrol + scroll wheel up/down to more/less so I’m super fast selecting.

Back to this problem, I noticed 2.8 selection didn’t feel as snappy as 2.79, now I know why.

1 Like

probably it is also due to the use of this convenience that it had not been verified that the click does not work well with fast repetition. :grin:

But that key combination is also present in 2.79. Right?

This looks very much like a problem related to the fact that action and selection are on the same mouse button in 2.8 LMB select config.

Can you try to do the same selection in other programs (Max, Maya, C4D) and record the screen? I’d be very interested to see how they perform/solve this issue.

1 Like

Ok, after some test I think that I found the problem. @IIIFGIII

The problem is that we have seen the “Left Mouse” selection options and parameters. When the problem is in “Shift+LeftMouse”. And that command have the “Click” instead the “Press” event.

Sames happens with other hotkeys, also the context menu have this “lag” because the “click” event, maybe it’s necessary to make a “clean” of the “click” event.

So, change the Shift+LeftMouse event to “Press” instead of “Click” @LazyDodo @ideasman42

3 Likes

I create a bug report about this

https://developer.blender.org/T68970

4 Likes