Faces dissolving problem

Really?
Just imagine dealing with a very complex triangulated/boolean-ed mesh, sometimes it’s pretty much impossible to bevel and do other things in those meshes, so it’s pretty common to clean the mesh like this so you can bevel those complicated areas more easily and then you fix the rest. I do that all the time. Without this feature the job would be 2 times harder and slow.

1 Like

ahh, so you mean, actually disolving the edges, not just visually hiding it, in that case it makes sense.

Yes.
Sometimes modeling in blender is really slow because of the lack of this feature.

1 Like

only for boolean stuff, maybe bmesh could be expanded, but this seems to be a really unreliable feature anyway, verry few modeling software can import/export correctly meshes with hollow faces.

Hiding ngons edges is a must have. Blender is sadly behind on it.

1 Like

Back in late 2.4x days we actually had a “feature” for this. It was called a fake-gon or f-gon for short. it was no real alternative for n-gons but at least we could create some topology examples for users of other packages that had access to n-gons.

As @anon18120698 alluded to though, in essence all it did was hide edges virtually creating an n-gon like thing out of multiple faces.

It’s extremely useful for peoples who relate on précision like architects and engineers, designer… etc … which is a MASSIVE part of the 3D community

I don’t see why blender couln’t fit with this community, with some additions, blender could totally fit for both world, and add a lot of users by te same time…

Just look at the massive user base of sketchup… a few options are required from blender to fit for thoses peoples… and could open the road to a new market just waiting for us.

Those extra edges are extremely annoying for model of mechanic, chairs and houses that have a lot of holes (Windows, screw holes, ect…) trust me, a huge turn off for thoses vocations

1 Like

Totally valid but I would give priority to snapping in this case.

But it is just impossible to make nGons with holes and every software, that claims it can do such stuff is basically just purposely not showing you certain informations.

yes, and it give enormous advantage to do so for certain people, that’s why it should be as an option, and an option only !

its like triangulation that your computer do when rendering, you dont see it while modeling for simplicity purpose but in trade off you may have shading error with some surfaces…

its exactly the same concept with this story of ngon with holes, having a possibility to remove them as an optioncould bring great joy for some peoples…

just pretend for two second that you are an architect, which of thoses 3 topology do you want to work with when creating your building that have 20 windows ?

first one is with ngon with holes?
second, result of booleans ?
third a topology with loop cuts, that dont give you the possibility to have some non regular windows with ease ?

now imagine the situation with bevel for each holes… its just a mess for option 2 and 3

The amusing thing is that unlike a lot of software that just hide some edges, Bmesh, the backend that powers Blender’s geometry representation, natively supports holes just fine IIRC. Or at least it was designed to. If I’m not mistaken holes were not allowed because then all edit mode tools and modifiers would have needed a lot of work to update.

Due to the core design, it’s not impossible that Blender will get hole support one day, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Do take this with a grain of salt, bmesh was a long time ago, and my memory is not what it used to be.

I mean it’s basically still the same mess, but Sketch Up hides the mess…

It’s not just about hiding, it’s about not interfering in the modeling process.

speaking of showing whats in the model or not, look at this soft called moi

compare to blender nothing is show at all, but look at the efficacity and speed gain !!!

Bezier patches are completelly different from meshes, they allow for such kind of hiding because they define geometry implictly instead of specifying each polygon.

Yeah sorry, I shouldn’t bring this up it have nothing to relate with blender.