Decoupling x-ray and limit selection to visible

Bumping this thread. This deficiency really costs me time every day. Very often it happens that I forget which mode I am in (Xray or not) and I accidentally perform operation only on mesh element selected from one side, not all sides, resulting in deformed model and having to revert to older save and re-do the work again.

Having constant mental burden of tracking if I am in a mode which allows me to select all faces or not is really tiring. It takes away the joy of otherwise well working fluid modeling workflow in Blender.

Just please let use select the polygons we want. No bullshit xray mode, no bullshit face dots, no bullshit semitransparent scene, just ability to select everything inside the selection box.

6 Likes

Also bumping this thread. I have just started diving into Blender and am really excited about it’s potential as a real powerful tool for many tasks in my pipeline. Coming from 3ds Max, Cinema 4D, as well as other DCCs, this is a pretty basic and expected workflow need for modeling. I was surprised to find that Blender had a similar toggle, but as of the awesome 2.8 update, this was removed. I really think this is a MUST have toggle. It is called “Ignore Backfacing” in Max, and as someone already pointed out “Only Select Visible Elements” in Cinema. Please bring this back ASAP!

7 Likes

I agree that it should be a separate toggle. For me, ideally it would be something like left mouse button for normal selection (front facing) and middle mouse button for selecting through geometry, but this wouldn’t be possible with the way Blender uses the mouse buttons.

2 Likes

I evaluated Blender some years ago for our company, but the UX was so alien, that we switched to Maya (which was a good decision back then). With Blender 2.8 this seems to have changed. It clearly came a long way. But the removal of the “select back facing” toggle is a huge regression, in my point of view. Please. Bring it back.

1 Like

It was not removed but merged with X-ray display.

You may be annoyed by the fact that X-ray display is modifying the whole scene display but that is just due to its default value.

Under Viewport Shading popover, you just have to pass X-ray from 0.5 to 1 to restore same behavior as in 2.79.

Thanks a lot for this quick reply! This definitely helps when using in “Solid” mode.

From a UX point of view I still believe that this merge was an arbitrary and strange decision, because now the “X-Ray” feature leaked into the “Wireframe” and “Solid” view options, but NOT into “LookDev” and “RenderPreview”. I personally found that confusing. I probably would figured out the intended usage quicker, if the X-Ray button would be be there at all (or only visible in Wireframe or Solid mode).

1 Like

It looks like it was an animator request to see armatures through meshes.
And developers were opposed to create another button in header for that.

You should not be confused about absence of X-ray slider for LookDev and Rendered modes.
Those modes should give a look similar to render. That does not make sense to use those display modes to look through meshes that are not supposed to be rendered as semi-transparent objects.
For those modes, transparency should be reflect of materials transparency.

Thanks for the explanation. I believe, I will learn to live with that.
And it’s always good to avoid adding new buttons. A minor improvement could be to “hide” the X-Ray-Button completely when in “LookDev” or “Render” mode.

1 Like

Well, in those modes, the transparency of objects’ material is not affected by that.
But the transparency of Faces and Edges overlays in Edit mode are.
So, the slider is not useful. But the button is still useful. At least, in Edit mode.

Created an account just voice my feedback as a modeler interested in learning Blender.

Seeing that Select Visible to Camera was removed was a step backwards and “wanting to avoid adding another button” is a pretty petty reasoning justify it.

To make matters worse, when in solid mode, the marquee selects partially contained polys, but when in X-ray you have to drag through the face center to select it, which makes selecting both sides around curved surfaces a major pain.

Two gifs below. In other programs with that option enable a similar sized drag marquee could have selected around the same polys that I did in solid mode, but would also select the back faces that I wanted. Now it can barely select anything because I have to contain the face center.

5 Likes

Disabling face overlays seems to fix the issue with Xray transparency. Doesn’t change the selection behavior, though.

Bump. This problem still persists. There’s still no way to select geometry without constantly need to switch selection methods between face area and face dots. This really slows down workflow a lot.

3 Likes

da na na na, can’t touch this <3
51%20PM

1 Like

This still remains one of the biggest workflow issues in Blender currently and is still unaddressed. This is very frustrating. I spent lots of time a day correcting for all the errors caused by selection method constantly switching on the fly, wreaking havoc when modeling. > : (

Instead of just switching mesh element selection modes, I also need to constantly toggle xray on and off depending on what I want to select. It makes selection very difficult and unnecessarily lengthy process.

4 Likes

Ya guys, turn XRay on, box select, then turn it off again.
Completely intended behavior.
“These two functions are the same guys trust me, the features were never meant to be decoupled”
I swear to god there is some random high up guy who just can’t be wrong.

3 Likes

I’d also would love to see this being reworked.
“Limit selection to visible” should be available as a standalone feature.
And face area and face dot modes should be decoupled as well.

What I’d also would like to see, would be a frontface/backface coloring for dots and a xray toggle with a dropdown to control it there directly.
The coloring is not not meant as an alternative for the new face orientation coloring itself. This feature I mean would allow a easier work with selecting faces via dots.

Edit: Here’s a mockup of a slightly denser mesh as animation

2 Likes

Just wanna chime in on this topic too. An ignore backfacing toggle is standard in every DCC except Blender 2.8 and is much needed.

The only way to do this is set xray mode to 1 and disable “Highlight selected face”. Then it works(tested in 2.81) but now you don’t have highlighted selected polys.

A simple toggle would be better.

1 Like

There are actually two different visibility settings that impact what you see when xray is enabled: xray_alpha for face opacity, and backwire_opacity for occluded wireframe opacity.

backwire_opacity is a bit of an oddball. It isn’t accessible through the default UI right now, but it has the proper tooltips and translations for UI integration. It’s accessed through context.space_data.overlay instead of the usual [panel name].get_shading(context) and setting context.space_data.overlay.show_faces = False disables it in all selection modes.

xray_alpha = 1 and backwire_opacity = 0 lets you select occluded geometry without seeing occluded wires. Combining that with object or material color instead of single, random, vertex, or texture color gives you granular opacity control, with smooth alpha blending instead of alpha hashing.

Xray, or the change of the viewport display is the smaller issue. The bigger issue is that it’s also bundled with face dot selection, which constantly keep switching between two different face selection techniques.

It’s not as simple solving the transparency problem. The main issue here is constantly changing selection method.

The simplest, and best way to solve this would be simply to somehow “exclude” the hit testing code for box/lasso selection only. There must be some code that explicitly tests if the faces within the selection box are visible first before actually adding them to the selection array. For single click selection, selecting only visible elements is still desired, but for box selection, I’d like a toggle. A toggle, not whole new xray mode.

You are just talking about xray opacity here, you are not taking into account the issue of face selection method being switched from face area intersection to face dot containment.

The whole point of this thread is to avoid having to use face dots for selection. They create way more problems than they solve.