Cycles OIDN support

Thank you for fast reply, got it to build removing the build directory on Laptop but still problems on workstation.
Will open a new thread if I not get it fixed by myself, has nothing to do with OIDN anyway.

Cheers, mib

You need to update the CMake configuration (by removing all OPENIMAGEDENOISE* variables from CMakeCache.txt) or start a clean build by removing the build_darwin folder entirely.

https://developer.blender.org/rBL62455#272261

1 Like

Hi. A couple of questions about new OIDN for final render. OIDN denoise node offers an option called ā€œHDRā€. I really donā€™t know technical issues and I donā€™t know exactly when it should be used. I was just wondering if this should also be an option to final render with OIDN, for example on View Layers tab. Also I have noticed that OIDN does not offer Input Passes in View Layers tab (like Optix). Should we have it?. Or perhaps it would be better to leave it as it is so as not to complicate much user settings.

I would also like to know what pass uses it as an image input, ā€œImageā€ output or ā€œNoisy Imageā€ output?. I ask because I understand that Noisy Image pass is mainly designed for native NML denoiser, and it could cause some problems if it was used in OIDN denoising node.

Iā€™m not sure what the use case would be for disabling the HDR option on OIDN the way its used in Blender. I think it should just always be used.

This partly answers my question:
https://developer.blender.org/T78881
Brecht already fixed it by the way (thanks!)

Now I would really like to know if it uses Image output or Noisy image output/pass :slight_smile:

1 Like

With OIDN the Image output before denoising and Noisy Image pass are exactly the same thing, thereā€™s nothing NLM specific about it.

1 Like

Hi.
My very bad memory to remember things (sorry for that). I have done a search and it turns out that I had even participated in the discussion and I had made tests (see this message here, from some messages above and some messages below)

@lukasstockner97 Could you clarify this please?
If this is how those firefly tests I did there, the best thing for OIDN would be to use Image output preserving the fireflies, because OIDN does a very good job transforming those fireflies into lighting, then the results are much more matched when comparing OIDN denoised result with many samples render without denoiser.

1 Like

NLM does prefiltering to remove things like fireflies, OpenImageDenoise does not, thatā€™s how it was implemented.

1 Like

Oh, okay. Thanks for clarifying.

1 Like