Cycles feedback

Maybe even the title could be updated doesn’t make much sense referring to Cycles-X

1 Like

I’ve update the first post now.

I still want to keep this feedback thread specific to changes that came with the Cycles X project, not general Cycles development, so I’ll keep the title.

It’s hard to say anything without seeing a .blend file. It’s always possible there are performance or memory usage regressions.

It seems that my scene with some planes set as “shadow catcher” doesn’t work with volumetric i get an error cuda.
shadow catcher and volumetric does not work, if i desactivate one of them it works took me some time to figure this out but it s those two things together that causes error

This sounds like a bug. You should report it on the bug tracker: https://developer.blender.org/

Ok i didn’t know where to report it , now i know :grin:

In the future if you want to make a bug report, the easiest way is to select from the top of Blender Help -> Report a bug then fill out the form with all the relevant information.

That was important, we don’t all have super fast hardware and it was a good workaround in some cases. Without it, the image can be very dark with one AO bounce.
But I just realized that AO Factor slider can go further than “1” if you enter the values manually from the numeric keypad. For example you use high AO Factor values and small AO Distance values. You check if this works in your example.

I have no technical knowledge, I just experimenting. In Classroom 2.8 scene what I mentioned above does not work with default scene World in Blender 3.0, it depends on World Ray Visibility and strength/color settings. In Blender 2.93 enabling Ambient Occlusion in the World tab is sufficient regardless of whether Ray Visibility is off.

Edit:
So maybe we can still achieve in Blender 3.0 what we previously obtained with Ambient Occlusion item in World Tab, it just happens that now it depends on World strength/color settings too.

1 Like

Finally had the time to try Cycles X. Love the addition of anisotropy and IOR to the SSS. :+1:

27 Likes

Great! Can you point me out an explanation on what these settings do?

1 Like

Thanks, appreciated!

IOR is a separate Index Of Refraction for the Subsurface Scattering, determining how light rays are bent inside the volume separately from the refractive IOR.

SSS anisotropy determines a bias of the scattering towards or away from the light, for different SSS looks. I read that human skin has an SSS anisotropy of 0.8, which I used in the above rendering.

Please correct me if I’m stating anything wrong here, Cycles devs. :blush:

2 Likes

That vampire is just gorgeous

1 Like

But what do these two new parameters actually do?

See my previous reply. :slightly_smiling_face: I hope that’s sufficient (and correct).

Do you have a sample scene you could provide that exhibits this issue? It you can attach that to the bug report it would be great.

@Orestiskon please see the first post in this topic.

1 Like

Sorry, didn’t realize that.

Please bring Christensen SSS back. I tried everything
with the new random walk settings but my character library just doesn’t look the same. I know it’s easy to rely on the “just use 2.93” argument but at this point is kind of insulting, because of course I’d like to use my current library in conjunction with the new render speed and the asset manager. That synergy is lost without 3.0. I’m tired of trying to come up with arguments to convince why is a good idea.

1 Like

I think the most plausible alternative is to use the early cycles X builds since unfortunately your wish “may” not be granted. With that, you trade instability for the features you’ve mentioned. My cents👍

There was no Christensen even in the earliest cycles X builds. The option was there for sure, but it didn’t work, it fell back to random walk