Cycles/EEVEE Improvements - Weekly Reports

how can you expect to have Substance features in a few weeks done by one person compared to a bigger dev team backed by huge company?

That’s what I meant, vertex colors (sorry for the miss-explanation, custom attributes are a different thing but I was thinking about vertex colors (also weights?),

So the Attribute Node is still valid, right?

On the other hand, do you think you will be able to implement the “random per element” or “per loose part” we talked about earlier in this Gsoc?

Cheers!

Yes, attribute node can still be used. Though I don’t see why you would want to us it.

I don’t think we will. I can make you a patch after GSoC though.

2 Likes

You are wrong. I did only request. I don’t know when GSoC ends. And it is one node and we have some concept how it should works. There is no new features such as full layers system or particle drawing or something huge in Substance. And this node should be first in the list of this GSoC in my opinion.

One question, i didn’t follow the reports, so maybe it now in the project or maybe is out of scope… when I do materials in substance, what I mos use, without doubt is the warp node. A node that move the pixels based in a input texture.

Is that feasible with the shader system?

Could appear stupid, but for example, if I want to make a tile texture

We have vector, directional… if we want to change the result, we only need to change the original tiles shape, color,…

2 Likes

That would be super wonderful! Thanks!

Just add an offset to the texture coordinates of the noise:

3 Likes

Easy peasy. Is that new snap something similar to Modulo?

Snap is an entrywise floor division.

One curious thing regarding the bricks procedural texture, if we use Object UV’s we don’t get height, will this (or is this) be fixed in this gsoc?

Check this nodes:

And this picture, to illustrate the problem.

2 Likes

I will look into it.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks :slight_smile:

For some reason if I copy your nodes I obtain a noise pattern

White Noise should be 2D not 3D. You should be careful when using White Noise. I will explain this in the documentation.

if you move the plane up a tiny bit on the z axis, does it go away?

Sorry, I copy your example. The problem is obvius, change to 2D solve it. I was using 3D and 4D because the “time” or 4D dimension was usefull for this

Yes, also it solve the problem.

2 Likes

it’s a float precision issue, with the plane sitting at Z=0, some rays will terminate slightly above the plane, some will hit slightly below leading to different noises being looked up making a funky pattern.

@OmarEmaraDev Is there a way to somehow combine for example Voronoi output with cell noise?

And also is there possibility to use Gradient as cell noise?

Can you elaborate? Not sure exactly what you want.

maybe I’m wrong, but I think that he want this

Anyway, all this is a way to tried to have a “tile generator” that actually lack a lot of things

2 Likes