Cycles Apple Metal device feedback

yes it has but from my testing on the 14 core GPU it looks more like 5-8 % depending on scene.

Monster under the bed for example.
3.1.2 no metal rt 350 sec
3.3a no metal rt 324 sec

Classroom
3.1.2 220 sec
3.3a 210 sec

1 Like

Hey, on relatively simple scenes cycles on metal has been performing pretty great. but when I start using on some more complex shots with linked libraries with overrides, view layers, and AOVs, I frequently run into issues where things suddenly will stop rendering or the entire system will lock up. the console reports a variety of issues, some of which specifically mention cycles metal (attached screenshots).

its hard to troubleshoot what is causing it, since it can render find one moment, and then the next it fails. and then render fine after a restart.

1 Like

Hi all,
On the BMW test, I got 1:24 on Blender 3.3 (May 17 build) and 1:18 on Blender 3.1 (Stable).
Perhaps this is just for this test? I will update this post with some more scenes later when I get the chance. Just wanted to let you all know that the time went down.

Also, MetalRT seems to have disappeared…

Not sure if I’m doing something wrong but on M1Max 64GB running Monterey 12.4 just got 102s on the Classroom and 49s on the BMW scene. Both on the 3.3 Apple Silicon build (GPU only compute)!

Try something else then BMW, it often does not show the differences well, Classrom, Monster under the Bed are better tests.

Also BMW is the only ine I tried that was actually faster with Metal RT on all the others are slower with Metal RT.

The 10% are for Metal RT off.

1 Like

Seems correct, same machine as you, got 103 sec in classroom with yesterdays build. (109 on 3.1.2) so about 6%.

Not every scene will get you 10%
From the ones I tried Monster under the Bed show the biggest improvement.

M1 ultra(64)

67s classroom
34s bmw

3.3a
61s classroom
30.7s bmw

With the classroom scene, blender 3.3 was slower again by 16 seconds. 3.1 rendered in 2:44, 3.3 rendered in 3:00

1 Like

macOS 12.4
AMD Radeon Pro 460 w/ 4GB GDDR5

Monster Under The Bed
3.1.0 beta: 16:07
3.2.0 RC: 14:50

3 Likes

@jason-apple I am curious after the announcement yesterday, will Metal 3 help Cycles?

6 Likes

Or maybe the viewport update fps?

1 Like

Pro tip, if you want viewport fps don’t use scaled screen resolutions on Mac.

Example 4k screen.
4k will be fast, so will “looks like 1080p” as it is exactly half, everything in between gets you 1/3 of the performance.

However yes it might help with Eevee next too🤷‍♂️

3 Likes

I, too, am interested in knowing this.

I am also curious, if this help cycles, will it work with intel Mac with AMD cards?

1 Like

Good tip, but I tried it and I notice no difference between scaled or screen default, which is “looks like 1080” :slight_smile: I think maybe the effort of scaling the screen is marginal compared to the actual 3d content. Mac Studio Ultra.

yes those are the same looks like 1440p is real slow for me but then again I only got the 14 core model.

You might want to try playing with viewport anti-aliasing settings, I find disabling AA improves FPS by quite a bit. There’s some bug because I don’t have the issue with my Intel Mac using the same resolution.

1 Like

Is Eevee Next available for Mac OSX. I have tried installing the 3.4.0 Alpha on my M1 and there is no drop down for Eevee Next even though it does appear as an experimental checkbox in the Prefs.

Also I have found Displacement using shaders when using GPU Compute for cycles almost always crashes or hangs Blender. It is extremely unstable so I have only had success using Displacement modifiers. This crash has been fairly consistent across all the Metal versions of Cycles and I have found this in 3.2.2 as well

I love the speed increase of GPU Compute on my M1 MacBook Max 64, but I can’t use it with displacement

1 Like

This topic is about the Metal implementation for Cycles. The one for Eevee Next is still under development and not expected to be working yet. You can see progress in ⚓ T96261 Metal Viewport.

You can report a bug in the tracker:
https://developer.blender.org/maniphest/task/edit/form/1/

5 Likes

Hi,
Mac Studio ultra 48cores - Blender 3.3 LTS - 26s :sweat_smile:

6 Likes