Cycles AMD HIP device feedback

Thank you for such a detailed explanation. It may not be the most optimistic information, but it’s nice that there is still someone following the topic. I appreciate the commitment. I would like to help somehow, but I’m afraid I don’t know how. I don’t know how to send this report and my technical knowledge is low.

I’m looking for some help and i don’t have extensive technical knowledge and i new to linux. I’m using 22.04.4 LTS ubuntu & blender 4.0.2. I wanted to use gpu to render in blender thus i found out about HIP/ROcm etc and followed the guide from “Ubuntu native installation — ROCm installation (Linux)” , i have finished all the steps and blender seems to detect the gpu but when i try to go into render mode it gets stuck on “updating shader” , same when i hit f12 to render but doesn’t freezes , it freezes when i try to change to solid mode.
Also i want to know if its possible to get this working with less storage ,Rocm is taking a lot of space(around 23gb), my only purpose for it is to render.

1 Like

Just an update. Rendered viewport + final render still freezes in more complex scenes.

1 Like

I wanted to ask if you are the person responsible for the implementation of HIP in Blender? Or in general for the development of ROCm technology in Linux or other platforms? If not, is there any person who could give the company’s official position on the topic of Cycles stability fixes using AMD graphics cards? Is there any way to motivate those responsible to take this step forward? Some form of heppening? Something to draw the company’s attention to this problem? I for one am really keeping my fingers firmly crossed for AMD. But they don’t give a chance to take them seriously in this aspect. Especially with all the marketing campaign going towards professional applications and AI.

No, I am just person who owns a AMD GPU, and I use it to test AMD GPU specific issues in Blender/Cycles.

As for your other questions, the only thing we as average users can do is make bug reports about the relevant issues to the relevant places. And hopefully the relevant groups fix the issues in a timely manner.

Sadly this doesn’t appear to be working as well as we hope (E.G. Major stability issues on Linux that have persisted for months, if not years), but there’s not much else average users can do.

4 Likes