Cycles AMD HIP device feedback

Thank you for such a detailed explanation. It may not be the most optimistic information, but it’s nice that there is still someone following the topic. I appreciate the commitment. I would like to help somehow, but I’m afraid I don’t know how. I don’t know how to send this report and my technical knowledge is low.

I’m looking for some help and i don’t have extensive technical knowledge and i new to linux. I’m using 22.04.4 LTS ubuntu & blender 4.0.2. I wanted to use gpu to render in blender thus i found out about HIP/ROcm etc and followed the guide from “Ubuntu native installation — ROCm installation (Linux)” , i have finished all the steps and blender seems to detect the gpu but when i try to go into render mode it gets stuck on “updating shader” , same when i hit f12 to render but doesn’t freezes , it freezes when i try to change to solid mode.
Also i want to know if its possible to get this working with less storage ,Rocm is taking a lot of space(around 23gb), my only purpose for it is to render.

1 Like

Just an update. Rendered viewport + final render still freezes in more complex scenes.

1 Like

I wanted to ask if you are the person responsible for the implementation of HIP in Blender? Or in general for the development of ROCm technology in Linux or other platforms? If not, is there any person who could give the company’s official position on the topic of Cycles stability fixes using AMD graphics cards? Is there any way to motivate those responsible to take this step forward? Some form of heppening? Something to draw the company’s attention to this problem? I for one am really keeping my fingers firmly crossed for AMD. But they don’t give a chance to take them seriously in this aspect. Especially with all the marketing campaign going towards professional applications and AI.

No, I am just person who owns a AMD GPU, and I use it to test AMD GPU specific issues in Blender/Cycles.

As for your other questions, the only thing we as average users can do is make bug reports about the relevant issues to the relevant places. And hopefully the relevant groups fix the issues in a timely manner.

Sadly this doesn’t appear to be working as well as we hope (E.G. Major stability issues on Linux that have persisted for months, if not years), but there’s not much else average users can do.

4 Likes

Has anyone tried version 6.1 of ROCm yet? I read on one of the forums that finally the viewort problem has been fixed. I hope AMD took to work and seriously wants to gain points with pro users. I wonder if version 6.1 will work with rx 6600 xt and if rocDecode will be available on my GPU. I can’t wait for my Nobara 38 distro to do an update from version 5.7. Release ROCm 6.1.0 Release · ROCm/ROCm · GitHub

With Arch Linux it looks like rocm 6.1 from opencl-amd no longer has issue 100353.

Cycles may finally works on Linux with an AMD GPU after… 2 years 4 months and 14 days (Blender 3 release to rocm 6.1 release). AMD please target the release next time to avoid being a few years late.

4 Likes

hey, cool to know someone is still using this package and it can be useful :stuck_out_tongue: it seems that its popularity dropped a lot in the recent years.

1 Like

Great news. Had to wait a long time. AMD seems to be getting us used to it. I can’t wait to try it out on my disto. I don’t want to play with manual installation so as not to mess anything up. I’m waiting for the update. I have no experience with Fedora based systems. I’m curious to see how it will be with stability. Now Hip RT for Linux and EEVEE with Vulkan implementation.

1 Like

Of course that popularity has dropped. Since it was impossible to work on it normally. I saw on the forum https://projects.blender.org/blender/blender/issues/100353 that the thread with the viewport bug was closed. This gives hope that seriously it is good. I wonder if the speed has also been improved. Maybe the popularity will increase. There are still many challenges ahead for AMD.

Hello,
for better Cycles HIP compability for Linux is better to stick only with ROCm™ 6.1 compatible GPU?

I am evaluating for the official ROCm™ 6.1 compability :

• AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX
  • AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
  • AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE

But i would evaluate other GPUs if the compatibility for Cycles HIP is the same

just thinking about it. Will AMD decide that they are making these new drivers only for RDNA3 upwards. Has anyone tested ROCm 6.1 with an RDNA2 or older card?

1 Like

I tested with a RX6800 (RDNA2) and it seems to work. However RDNA2 has been never supported by rocm which is of course disappointing.

@Andrea_Monzini Regarding the trifecta of Blender Linux and “supported” AMD GPU’s, please factor into your decision that both Blender and AMD effectively failed to provide adequate support for over 2 years. While not once expressing a desire or plan to do better in the future. RDNA2 or RDNA3 might be suitable for light hobbyist use (few times a month).

2 Likes

I understand. For professional activities I have a company laptop with RTX 4080 mobile. I am aware of the gap that separates Nvidia and Optix from the competition. I think Intel is doing a better job on Blender. However, I am still rooting for AMD. If they fixed the problem now, focus on AI development and pforesional applications then maybe things will change for the better. I wonder if anyone at AMD is following these forum threads.

2 Likes

In terms of amd’s market capitalization, it has made a lot of money in recent years, with its highest market capitalization being twice that of Intel’s, and now exceeding $100 billion.