Cycles AMD HIP device feedback

HIP-RT (Hardware accelerated ray traversal for HIP) for Cycles is being worked on and is expected to be committed soon.

3 Likes

This is great news. Seriously, I’m rooting hard for the AMD team. It would be nice if they open source code for these components and drivers. I’m afraid that developers will again treat Linux as a secondary system, irrelevant to the company because of lousy profits. It’s understandable on the one hand, and yet I’m still hoping that I’ll be able to use Blender on Ubuntu using the rx 6600 xt without compromising and combining with viewport render display. It would be nice if we didn’t have to install ROCm, and everything would be available by default in Mesa drivers!

3 Likes

1:sudo apt install
2:sudo amdgpu-install --usecase=rocm,hip,graphics --opencl=rocr
I don’t know why my ubuntu can’t start hip even though I installed the driver using the above command

1 Like

I would add to this command --no dkms if I remember correctly.
I think the problem is with the version of Blender you have installed. Most likely you have Flatpak or Snap. Download the official version from the official site. It should help.

1 Like

Wanted to make a linux build that will allow people to render with amd gpu.

https://docs.amd.com/bundle/ROCm_Installation_Guidev5.0/page/Prerequisite_Actions.html

Confirm the system has a ROCm-capable GPU

Does this mean I can’t compile hip unless I have an AMD gpu?

1 Like

No, you can compile without an AMD GPU as well, that’s what we do on the buildbot.

5.0 is somewhat old now, the latest version of the docs is:
https://docs.amd.com/bundle/ROCm-Installation-Guide-v5.4.1/page/Prerequisites.html

See also:

2 Likes

Sorry to write this here, but maybe we could see the render and cycles meeting notes from the 18th of April?

Thanks, 5.0 link is from the wiki. Still no windows compile, right? Like no unofficial workaround I can just go somehwere like this and poof, it works:
https://radeon-pro.github.io/RadeonProRenderDocs/en/hiprt/about.html

I don’t think that is the same thing, just related to it somehow with raytracing stuff that is being worked on? Windows compile might be happening sometime this year I hope:

I believe an AMD engineer said that HIP/ROCm for Windows would release in the next few months.
And yes HIP-RT is a library to extend HIP with some ray tracing specific features. And Cycles has support for it. I believe it’s just disabled at the moment since no public facing AMD GPU driver supports it properly. At least that was my understanding from roughly a week ago.

2 Likes

I’ve expanded on performance comparison between Windows And Linux posted by @TurtleDev and @L_S. With 3.5 out and more cards tested it still looks that Linux has worse performance by solid 10% and in some cases almost 18%.

If we exclude outliers like Vega/VII and W6800 which got first regressed by 300 percent then it came back, then by average Linux regressed by 4.7%, Windows got better by 14.2% and Linux is worse than Windows by average of 8%.
If we focus on RDNA2 only the numbers are: 5.2%, 19.1%, 12.9%.
RDNA3 looks much better balanced OS-wise, but this is just one SKU.

Blender v. perf. Δ = ((newest score per OS * 100) / oldest score per OS) - 100
lead/loss to Windows = ((most recent Linux score * 100) / most recent Windows score) - 100
The numbers are from all Blender from 3.0 to 3.5.

GPU Model OS Blender v. perf. Δ lead/loss to Windows
5600X Linux -8.8% +17.3%
5600X Windows +4.25% -
Vega Linux +42.7% +7.5%
Vega Windows +35.0% -
6600 Linux -4.8% -9.9%
6600 Windows +3.4% -
W6600 Linux - -15.84%
W6600 Windows +22.6% -
5700XT Linux -4.4% -9.2%
5700XT Windows +10% -
6600XT Linux -6.7% -11.3%
6600XT Windows +21.4% -
VII Linux -9.9% -8.6%
VII Windows +79% -
6700XT Linux -6.6% -11.8%
6700XT Windows +13.4% -
W6800 Linux +314% -8.3%
W6800 Windows +24.5% -
6750XT Linux -9.5% -14.5%
6750XT Windows +21.7% -
6800 Linux -7.3% -9.4%
6800 Windows +27.7% -
6800XT Linux -6.7% -17.7%
6800XT Windows +21.4% -
6900XT Linux +2.5% -12.5%
6900XT Windows +19.7% -
6950XT Linux -7.9% -13.4%
6950XT Windows +21.1% -
7900XT Linux - +2.7%
7900XT Windows -2.7% -
7900XTX Linux -0.9% +1.1%
7900XTX Windows +0.9% -
3 Likes

rocm on windows just announced the launch of the official (including last year’s hip experiment is more than a year), why windows is better than the optimization of years of linux? cuda opencl are linux speed

1 Like

hey, a new page just loaded on AMD’s site. There’s nowhere I can find on the site to access or seasrch it, but it’s pretty easy to reveal via targeted google search. There’s a direct download link for the drivers that will supposedly add blender support in windows.

It’s not version 23 like the main one on the site, so it might be a branch of the previous version, but is this the driver we’ve been waiting for to enable public testing of HIP RT? there is exactly one (1) “highlight” for this version, according to AMD, and it’s

“Support for HIP RT in Blender™ 3.6 Beta”

and my next question is, when should we expect to see OpenData reflecting the availability of HIP RT? I’ve stressed it before, but we do need that relatively quickly, so we can begin to gauge the effectiveness of the new render tech, and sorta hopefully give a certain team green some competition in the professional space, for the benefit of all our wallets on every team.

4 Likes

OpenData won’t be updated before the final 3.6 release end of June.

I see. well, I guess if someone really wanted to know, they’d have one of the newer cards and use a headless render to calculate it on a benchmark file.
eager to see if this is the real driver, though.

I believe some compiler bugs were found that might need to be fixed before HIP RT is enabled for the public. It may actually already be fixed by now, but I’m not 100% sure on that.

From my perspective, as a person who does not program, the situation looks very bad. Especially in relation to Linux systems. I am disgusted by how slowly AMD is addressing this issue. I am saddened, as a customer who bought their hardware, that the company can’t easily solve the driver issue for my system. HIP in Blender works but has problems and I have to keep an eye out for running viewport with overlay enabled. In the latest alpha 3.6 version hip detects my card but enabling hip rt is not possible. Also, hip itself does not work and does not generate an image. This is some kind of unfunny comedy.

4 Likes

Why can’t hiprt generate images?

1 Like

Looks like beta driver is broken

2 Likes

From the Cycles meeting on Tuesday:

• AMD HIP-RT code was merged, but is not yet enabled due to issues found in testing. Brian will send an updated HIP-RT SDK, and mention the right drivers to use for testing the the pull request. Brecht will then make a new build and test.
  • AMD ROCm 5.5 was released, which should enable us to re-enable HIP on Linux by upgrading to this compiler version. Brecht will test it. This driver release should also fix viewport crashes with RDNA2 graphics card. It may take a bit for Linux distributions to upgrade to this version.

So please have some patience and wait until this is officialy enabled and ready for testing.

2 Likes

The latest download of 105388 is now available, and the speed improvement is The minimum speed increase of only 10%, the most speed increase of 50%, Figure more will not be sent