Curve-to-Mesh Node "Even Thickness" Feedback Thread

Hey @BlenderBruno
Have you been able to migrate the patch to the new site Pull Requests - blender - Blender Projects
for new testing

1 Like

Sorry not yet. Bear with me!

5 Likes

Hi,

" Even better if you could test the custom build available here: Blender Builds - blender.org (check out the limitations too). "

Seems like custom build is not available anymore. Is there other way/source to download it?

Hey Paulo, custom builds disappears after a while. I still have to migrate this patch to the gitea process as well as ping the developers again on this. Hopefully in the coming weeks.

5 Likes

Hi, thank you for all your work on this. I just found this thread couple days ago after a few moths ago
I was dealing with the miter problem when lofting curves in Blender. I had to finally gave up on some design ideas. So watching all your work it gave me a slight hope to return to the project and finish it. I believe 100000 better things to do but I was just wondering if there is any chance that you could re-share this build again (dropbox, gdrive, wetransfer, anything)? I could use it before final patch arrives. Thank you again for all your effort to fix this issue!

1 Like

Hey Paulo, I have it available but only for MacOS/Intel. Still interested?

Here it is: Blender v3.5.0 alpha D16829 Even Tchickness Macos Intel

1 Like

Hey Paulo and All, this thread had been archived as read only after the site reorganisation and Thomas Dinge reenabled it.

1 Like

Hi, this would be an incredible feature to have. As an architectural designer, it’s always necessary to preserve even thickness and Z-up directions when dealing with curve-to-mesh. So really looking forward to be able to test this once it’s migrated. Thanks for working on this!

8 Likes

Thank you! Even thickness is pure gold. Now I just need some Mac … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi!
Really looking forward to seeing the custom build on github or anywhere. Bruno, maybe you could share some cloud link?
Btw. It’s a shame they remove builds from blender site without even archiving them :frowning:
It would help me tremendously with the commission I’m doing this week.

Sorry @michalpe , I only have the macOS Intel build at the moment.

1 Like

There’s no PR for your work yet, right? If you upload a pull request on blender/blender: The official Blender project repository. - blender - Blender Projects, it would be trivial for us to create a build for the branch, for all the supported platforms.

1 Like

Thx @HooglyBoogly, I just started to look at the new gitea and pull request process. Hopefully that’ll go smoothly along with a few months of commits to merge :wink:

3 Likes

Just merged main (currently 4.0.0) and created a Pull Request #108700 - WIP: Curve-to-Mesh node Even Thickness - blender - Blender Projects
@HooglyBoogly, could you create a build for the branch?

5 Likes

Hey @michalpe and All,

New builds available here (thx @HooglyBoogly!):

5 Likes

Fantastic, thank you!

You’re welcome. Let us know if it works for you!

It would be very timely if this made it into 4.0

2 Likes

Indeed, it’s 8 months old. That’s 2/3rds of a year. Honestly, in commercial world, even 2/3rds of a month is on the edge of being too long to implement for a feature of this scale.

I do get that it’s volunteer work, so the developer owes us nothing, and we should be very thankful for anything we get. But still, the external volunteer patch development and approval process is just depressingly slow in Blender.

2 Likes

Hi @duarte.framos, fyi the « miter joints » approach presented here and implemented in my PR has been turned down a few months ago by @HooglyBoogly (see #108700 - WIP: Curve-to-Mesh node Even Thickness - blender - Blender Projects) and I haven’t had the chance to get back to it.