Cryptomatte Metadata Missing in 2.8

I was thinking of a separate EXR for each view layer, not a separate EXR for passes. There may be reason for that too, but it’s not clear to me which one you say Redshift is doing.

AFAIK EXR specification allows for different bitdepths and compressions per layer. So it shouldn’t be a problem to output e.g. 16bit half float with DWAA compression beauty with 32bit full float ZIPS Cryptomatte layers in the same file.

Outputting Cryptomatte with 16bit and/or lossy compression shouldn’t be allowed anyway because the data is completely useless.

I was stunned by this as well. Arnold e.g. allows Cryptomatte layers in a multilayer EXR and they work in Nuke.

We’re using different terminology here. Cryptomatte is a pass in Blender terminology, not a layer.

What Blender does is if you have view layers Background and Characters, a myscene.exr file will contain:

Background.Combined
Background.CryptoObject
Characters.Combined
Characters.CryptoObject

Instead an application might not have the concept of view layers, or write two separate files myscene.Background.exr and myscene.Characters.exr files that each contain:

Combined
CryptoObject
1 Like