Call for Content: Themes

Here’s my favorite theme. I call it: Deep Blue Something

• It is a mix of a dark theme with blue UI highlights and shading that make it easier to see selections

• 3D Viewport background is dark blue with a darker vignette. The grid has a small amount of alpha.

• Text has a small shadow backdrop and buttons have pleasant shading and rounding on their edges.

• There are also Viewport blue and green highlights for object and edit mode. (Green is active selection with blue as other selected objects

• Face normal front has alpha set to 0 and Face normal back has red with some alpha so you can turn on face direction in the viewport and leave it on while modeling with little interruption (helps you find the normals flipping when you don’t want them to).

• Shader Editor has the node noodle smoothing strength turned up to look more like curvy noodles, and the editor has the same selection coloring theme as the 3D Viewport.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Updated 3-2021
deep_blue_something.xml (44.7 KB)
Rev3: Additional updates to the scripting and node editor window themes.

3 Likes

Nice dark theme, but it is hard to tell which is active object when selecting multiple object. Similar to sharp edge and seams.

2 Likes

Hi xcession
Thank you for the feedback, I used blue and green(active) I’ll change that for you, blue and yellow might be good.
I’ll fix those and update soon.

Let’s hear it for diversity!
I’ve tried several times to create a theme where all the text is dark on a light background, but I find there are far too many variables in the theme engine and I just end up confused. There’s always at least one place (like the Transform Orientations menu) that doesn’t want to cooperate.

If anyone were to take on this (seemingly simple) task, I’d formally declare them to be my best friend ever in the entire world. :slight_smile:

Did you ever get this done? You were talking about the top screenshot, right? The light version? 'Cause I’d love to try it.

Yes, the theme system is full of bugs. But someone was willing to fix them, see here:

But unfortunately it seems like his patches were most of the time ignored in the dev site, so I guess he just gave up (with good reason).
Live with the bugs is the only way now.

The patches were ignored? That’s news to me. I remember reviewing / committing a fair number of theme bug-fix patches in the last few months.

1 Like

Here are my themes that i personally use before i knew there is a contest going on :rofl:
Inspired by synthwave retrowave vaporwave color pallet.
I present to you
~ S y n t h w a v e C a n d i e s ~

a h h a e s t h e t i c

Plus a bonus dark theme that is an edit of “Minimal dark”

• Editing colors intact, i.e. vertex selection

• Navigation bar icons are very distinguishable (because i just kept clicking wrong buttons)

• Nicer to spend hours in.

• Matches with my vs code theme and windows 10 theme and opera gx theme.

EDIT : Apperently, new users can not upload images and files :roll_eyes:
so here is a google drive link
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1x8FA1HQSzVf04fXLsmh0AJE6FxAXA958?usp=sharing

2 Likes

yeah? then i guess my memory is mixing things up lol :v:

Hi,

I created this theme without the intention to share it as it’s neither perfect nor close to being finished.
As I started feeling more and more used to it I thought I could make it publicly available anyway.
It’s based on Blackmagic Fusion UI. It might suit only users who like dark UI :wink:

So, here it is, Blender meets Blackmagic Fusion

As a new user, I can’t attach the XML file yet but I will.
In the meantime, I made the zip available on BA

10 Likes

I’ve updated the Fusion theme.

I also have another theme I worked on a while back. A variation of the default dark but with more muted grey.

Zip available here:

2 Likes

Would anyone be interested in this low(er) contrast theme of mine?
I really missed a more low-key but balanced theme from the defaults so I created one.

Give it a try if you like it:
OCHRE.xml (44.5 KB)

BTW I’d love to discuss a ton of weird choices in the theme settings.
Nearly everything (too many things) are customizable separately, but - I guess out of unconcern or something - lots of absolutely different UI elements are grouped together under one setting.
To put it here plainly I’m talking about the UI / Regular colors. That’s a mess.

It made me crazy during the setup that I create something nice and it kills everything in another menu where there’s something completely different using the same color.
Even worse the “Object Types Visibility” in the viewport uses colors reversed from the toggles in the outliner.

Could I perhaps help a developer iron out the Themes settings?

5 Likes

Here’s my latest version of Alien Pink!
alien_pink_2_92.xml (44.6 KB)

Made for artists in mind:

• Electric PINK!
  • Clear window borders
  • High color contrast
  • Dark centered, great for long blender hours and keeping your eyes relaxed
  • Very consistent but not monotonous
  • Easy to get into
  • Prioritizes efficiency first (no rounded buttons and other effects)
  • Blues and purples are very inert colors, I made it so that theme wouldn’t interfere with color balance of what’s being produced
  • Perfect theme if you have a 4k monitor and need to see all important info just in one glance

(I recommend turning off text Anti-aliasing and lowering global scale to 0.8 for extra crispiness)

Enjoy :grin:

4 Likes

Blender V - Darker UI for Blender

I created this theme because a lot of users in the community were asking for a darker theme color that was sober to read even if you’re an *experienced 3D user or a client gazing at the workspace.

I wanted to make it easier for the UI to point to the little crucial buttons in the UI which were grayed when you click on them

The Blender V theme also solves the problem to “jump cut” on video tutorials when you have such menus selected (i.e. the window editors, overlays, add modifier, etc.) where the client or inexperienced user watching the video doesn’t know why the button “popped” something.

The user/client/viewer needs a strong visual color (in the theme is bright orange).
pop-up-menus

I also took the time to customize the selected TAB colors in the N panel for the 3D viewport only, since 90% of the addons rely on the N menu of the 3D viewport. With this theme, it’s easier to even maximize the viewport and the first time user / client / not experienced viewer will still be able to identify what’s going on with the selected tab’s addon or parameter.
Unnecessary multi-colored bones are distracting, so the selected colored channels by Blender’s default theme add to the visual noise. All bone channels in the NLA, Graph editor, DopeSheet were edited to have sober colors. Everything about these choices are explained in a 14 minute video in the link at the end of the thread.

Movie clip editor (a.k.a the TRACKER) didn’t work with most of the settings it had, I already reported them as bugs. Aside from that, the CRUCIAL parameters as well as the playhead are not obvious from the Blender default theme and I switched them to bright orange, since ALL of the tracking operations reside in these (hidden by the default grey color) tabs.

When big files load the “blue-cyan” color of the bar, which is used everywhere else for SELECTIONS, doesn’t communicate clearly that there is a background process being “completed”.
Hence, Blender V switches the color of the progress bar to something that presents a completed process in GREEN COLOR.

Green (in different shades) is what we use in Blender for the keyframes, in the dope sheet, in the NLA in the graph editor, it only makes sense for the new user that all of these key-to-screen colors for completing a task are presented in Green as in “ready” state.

Also, I can’t emphasize enough how important is for the new user to READ the outliner properly when you have multiple selections. In Blender V, last selected is Cyan blue and Active selection is White.

You can see extensive details as to why these color choices were necessary in this video covering NLA, Tracker, Grease Pencil, VSE and other editors >>.

:blue_heart: Download the Blender V theme here
Blender_V_01.xml (44.6 KB)

5 Likes

How long before I can upload a file here?

Hello, I want to upload a theme but being a new user it won’t let me. When will I not be a new user and will I be able to share theme?
Greetings to all!

Give me the xml file of this theme, thanks

You are awesome :heart::heart:

Reload this theme please!

Is already uploaded if u check the replies: i can not sent you the link here check the replies i uploaded it on google drive