Blender UI paper cuts

Selected%20only
Almost every time we export OBJ (or any other external format for that matter) we accidentally forget about the “selected only” checkbox and have to wait for Blender to finish a whole city or a crowd, or we just crash it on purpose.
Why not have that checked by default?

17 Likes

MistPass
Mist Pass options in the ‘World’ tab are hidden when the checkbox of Mist is not checked in the ‘Render layers’ tab.
It took me a while to understand why I can’t find those Mist options and that they are connected to a checkbox from a completely different tab.
It’s a confusing behavior that something is completely vanishing from the UI with no context.
And, of course, not every time I need to change something in those options I need to render the pass itself.
I suggest to just leave it by regardless of the checkbox.

7 Likes

Proposal Sidebar N

1 Like

I think this is something that should be easy to add and very handy as you currently need to switch to image view, find the image you want to edit and open the image menu to find the “Edit Externally” option. It would save lots of time and it will be much more intuitive. Check the new icon added to the texture node.

Screenshot_14112018_002

2 Likes

Nice one! but… I think the placing is really bad: it breaks the relationship between object and collection which i find confusing, being that a “content” context.
Wouldn’t it make more sense to put it in the upper row next to user persp/ortho? At least that is a “view” context.

@lsscpp
I can try to put it in the status bar too, but I won’t write more code without knowing if the official developers finally like the idea. In any case, I personally think that it doesn’t look bad next to the collections either, but that’s a matter of taste. Yeah, next to the name of the view can look good too. Would also be very easy to put to the right of the whole after the name of the selected object.

I think it’s pretty useful to know which engine you’re configuring at any given time without having to go to the render properties just to look at that. Also for when you are watching a video tutorial at a glance you know in which engine they are explaining the tutorial without having to search where they explicitly specify it, assuming that the creator indicates in the tutorial.

The presets in the properties editor (light paths, dimensions, etc) feel unresponsive. Unless you are paying atention to the parameters they afect (which demands the relevant panel to be open), you get no indication that your action of selecting a preset actually had an effect. I think there should be some highlighting animation or something. (Ideally the preset name should stay in the subpanel title, changing to “Custom” if you alter any parameter, but I guess that falls out of “UI paper cuts” scope).

1 Like

I found that in edit mode, the Overlay popover is longer than my screen, and the “scroll” behaves like in a menu, but I think it would be easier to have a more classic scroll ?

I do not know if it has been posted, one of that “simple” things that bother me the most is not to be able to add several clips or a image strip with drag and drop from the file browser editor and having to add image strips or several videos from the sequencer editor with “shift A”

1 Like

While this might be good sometimes, I think an option to turn it off should be available as well, maybe an overlay checkbox.
I personally don’t want/need to see the name of the render engine in my viewport all the time.

@Luis.Burdallo this looks beyond ui paper cuts :smile:

@ThinkingPolygons
Here are a couple of reasons why we might be interested in having that information visually:

I understand your interest in this information visible all the time, but that’s not true for me.
I’m coming from other 3d apps and I never needed such information all the time. That’s why I’m asking for an option to turn it off for those who don’t need it.
The overlay panel could have a section for head-up display (HUD) where we could turn on/off this type of info.

3 Likes

Maybe those panels should be rearranged from most used to “fancy”? It’s kinda weird to have bloom/depth of field on top of of stuff like SSR/SSS. :smile:

8 Likes

:smiley: Well maybe. I suppose turning a drop menu option into a socket is not as simple as it seems visually, I know. I will remove it tomorrow just to make sure they see it and in case any of them reply about it.

wires, lamps, empties etc etc all black

its a quick fix that a change every time i reset 2.8 but all the same black tone may be coherent but its really annoying.

A little variant:

7 Likes

Lack of picker for bones. Armatures can be picked but not bones. Ideally if i pick over a certain bone should pick the armature and the bone i aim at, however being able to manually point pic a bone on a second action would be nice too.
imagen

8 Likes

Can’t pick an armature or bone from a floating drivers window. Simply doesn’t register the armature since its a different window

its my last one tonight ^- ^ sorry, im not sure what its more practical if to do one with everything or like post in different replys like this.

7 Likes

Hello, my first paper cut post. Outline_Highlights

The outlier is fashionable as it gets but is functionality disconnected as the image shows. The blue “selected from within the outliner” highlight and light grey “last hovered over in the outline” highlight completely overpower what is actually selected and can be completely misleading. A quick little fix in the theme is to have no hover color or blue selected color but the actually selected object is still hard to find. So for the best results, I think a bit very tiny bit of code would be needed for this.

1. Is it possible to remove the light grey “last hovered over’’ highlight when the mouse leaves in the outliner?

2. When selecting something from the viewport, is it possible to auto blue highlight in the outliner?

3. Bonus, It would be awesome if when selecting something from the outliner, then that reflected in the properties panel. Yes, those specific material properties show up if already in the materials tab, but it would be extremely users (especially new users still learning the tabs) if it also automatically selected the tab. For example, if you click on a selecting a modifier, material, etc. in the outliner, then it would automatically show that modifier, material, etc. tab in the properties panel.

Thanks for reading.

23 Likes

There is a bit of a maze involved in trying to get refractions to work in Eevee, mainly I just wanted to simplify the three-step process into to steps but also found other mini things.

1. It is a bit redundant and ironic that this drop down is named Surface when it holds Surface and Subsurface as an option. It might be worth changing the drop-down title to appearance?
  2. This would let volume join in the drop-down since it is technically the same idea as Subsurface, which makes the thing look cleaner and it is also just kind of strange not being in there since the drop down only shows up when “Use Nodes” is active, being in the surface dropdown.
  3. I would consider moving Blend Mode to“Surface/Appearance”. Since it affects the entire material, I could see it at the very top, similar to how Photoshop and Substance, but for clean and consistency sake maybe just at the very bottom.
  4. Finally, I moved Screen Space Refractions (and the following options) under Render tab’s Screen Space Reflections, because it goes hand and hand with the Refractions check box. (This feature just feels hidden under the Options tab because of the name is “Options” is very vague to the point it feels unrelated. Also, it doesn’t belong under the Materials tab in my opinion, because of this aren’t the type of features you would want to have different from material to material, but instead the entire scene to gain performance.)

I know this isn’t the most exciting of proposals but Blender does real-time refractions better than Zbrush, Maya, and Unity so I wanted to polish up this gem so it is a little more accessible for newcomers. Let me know what you think and thanks for reading.

4 Likes

A 100+ object scene opened in 2.8 with all objects disabled in the viewport in the outliner for some reason.

• I found no easy way of selecting all children (“select hierarchy” did nothing).
  • Even when I pressed A to select all, no amout of shift, control or alt clicking on the enable button would enable anything but the actual object I was clicking on.
  • Control clicking the view icon in the outliner now isolates the object clicked (but not its children), and there’s no obvious easy way to get out of that (control clicking again, like in 2.79, does nothing).
  • Control clicking the view icon in 2.79 showed/hid the entire hierarchy, and I found no equivalent shortcut for that in 2.8.
  • Shift clicking an object in the outliner and then shift clicking an objects below that should select every object in between (industry standard, but I know, Blender doesn’t care).
3 Likes