Blender UI paper cuts

Great, one thing to keep in mind, these tasks should be small well defined - a developer who knows the code should be able to implement them without having to enter into a design discussion.

It can’t always be avoided, just good to try and make these as straightforward as possible.

As an example “Saving images on exit” - how to handle PSD images which we don’t have good support for? (saving flattens all layers IIRC because we don’t have layer supprt)

Another one “Remember the last display mode in File Browser.” - where should it be remembered as a preference, in the blend file, in the startup file, in the current session?

Of course developers can use common sense too, but it helps if you suggest how you think these features can work in more detail, so developers aren’t left asking too many questions when they have time to work on these.

3 Likes

You are right to ask for more specificity. You can also respond to any of the paper cut tasks in the task list. Maybe there are unforeseen issues with some of the tasks. Feel free to point that out.

I don’t understand. We can’t save PSD’s? If not, we shouldn’t be able to edit them either then.

In the same way we store previous operator settings, they aren’t stored in the file itself but it simply remembers the settings from the last time that operator was executed. (Correct me if I’m wrong)

Checked, our PSD support is read-only, so - this means we need some way to handle that case of editing files that can’t be saved :S. Better move discussion to task though.

I noticed that on the forum of blenderartist some posts may contain the “solution” flag …
maybe that addon could be useful for sign fixes

Please put Mesh Options in the 3d editor (in the Mesh menu), it makes no sense to put them in the properties editor, since these aren’t properties of any single tool or object or scene, but simply editor options.

Hiding something as useful as Automerge Editing so thoroughly is going to frustrate a lot of new users.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Preset for macos Cmd key

Environment%20sampling

Please look at this panel. Unless you already know what it does, you have a snowball’s chance in hell of divining its function. None of the tooltips are useful either.

It’s the Environment Map Multiple Importance Sampling configuration panel.

Please give this panel a clear label.

The fun thing is that this was perfectly clear in 2.79, and even had a good tooltip with a recommended use case.

2 Likes

When you are editing an object with multiple materials in Shader Editor, if you swap between the object’s materials, you actually reasing a material to the slot you are editing.

I know it’s easy to come up with an easy workaround like selecting back the original’s slot material, but then you have to remember which one was the original and if you have a lot of them it’s a bit messy. Otherwise you must go to the properties panel / materials and select the material every time.

I would keep this feature as is but also add the option to just edit the material without reasigning them.

I video showing what I mean:

4 Likes

As a user I would expect that rather than loading and saving, for files like the PSD there should only be a way to import them, meaning once imported, if somehow edited they would have to be saved as a new file.

2 Likes

Yes, there’s no way to switch the active material slot inside the Shader Editor. Clearly there should be.

The tricky thing is how to add this in a nice and clear way in the UI.

3 Likes

Somethings like this
JumpKeyframe

16 Likes

One idea could be to include that same material list for the selected object in the shader editor sidebar?

Speaking of the transport controls, I miss having single frame advance buttons in the transport. Yeah, I can use left and right arrow keys, but sometimes you’re in mouse mode and just want to go a few frames either way without trying to drag the play head to exactly the right spot.

If it were me, I’d add something like <1 and 1> buttons between the Play and Next Keyframe controls. I don’t think horizontal space is too scarce there.

1 Like

Something like this
JumpKeyframe

13 Likes

Does it bug anyone else that File menu operations cannot be invoked using the Shift-R ( Repeat Last Operation ) command?

This is especially cumbersome when appending or importing assets. Having to go through the File menu + sub menus repeatedly is annoying.

I realize that these operations can be added to the Quick Favorites menu, which helps a tonne, but isn’t this an inconsistency?

2 Likes

A very common convention from other 3d packages would be to move the current frame number field which is way over there on the right (and has < > buttons that you can use for next/prev frame, it’s just not intuitive the way the rest of the transport controls are) and put it between the play buttons (without its own < > buttons) so that the current frame number that the transport controls are affecting is right there.

this tool should be unique …

at the moment as it is, it creates confusion …
if we are in vertex select and click on the edge slide tool, it does not work, and vice versa for edge select and vertex slide does not work

it makes no sense that it is split into two tools.
if we are in edge mode, it should work for the edges …
if we are in vertex mode, it should work for the vertices …
that’s all.

Screenshot%20(3)

11 Likes

Knife tool doesnt have undo function. When you accidently place a vertex in the wrong spot you have to start all over again.

5 Likes

That would probably be easy to do but not so elegant. You don’t always have the sidebar open - I think it should be right there in the header next to the ID selector.

I have always pressed esc to cancel the function …
it’s also true that if you cut out a fairly complex shape, it’s a nice headache to reset everything for a wrong vertex …