Blender is moving in the wrong direction

The one column design have a reason, that never was implemented, to put a search box in the properties editor. It was promerse for final 2.8, 2.81. two years after we still waiting.

2 Likes

For sure, everything have some reasons.
And subsets of those reasons forms approaches.
The problem is to define which approach is the most effective.
That’s the reason why things like Workflow Design and CG battles exists.
Otherwise, anybody can come and say “my approach is better, just because it is ISS I got used to”.

A search box is a nice example when UI was copied without full disclosure of the intended functionality.
Recently, many things have been going the same way, so we had the problem of “design for design”.
Everything can be done nicely with proper design and understanding all the reasons behind solutions.
This is what this topic is also about.

2 Likes

Great wording.

The blender was a blender, including thanks to:
right click
layer system
3D cursor-based technique

These (and much more) were strengths. And what did we get? All this is destroyed, forgotten, does not receive development. Techniques are introduced into the blender, for which the listed pluses become interfering factors.

Instead of developing their strengths, the developers chose the way to please the crowd. “Let’s make the blender convenient and comfortable for those who are used to working in 3D max || maya || c4d, and hated the blender before”. Great policy.

In order to turn a blender into maya, you do not need to understand Maya well, you do not even need to see maya. It is enough to act according to a similar ideology of development. “Satisfying the mass, neglecting the minority.”
Here, it’s not about the interface, not about the location of buttons, scrolls and menus. The point, as 1D said, is in the paradigm, in the systemic effect of the established principles of the organization of the work process, the use of tools.
Either UI/UX pushes the user to become more professional (as it was before), or UI/UX does everything to please the user as soon as possible. And these are two different ways. High entry threshold,

or low.

I don’t think so at all. We always like to see blender as a for noobs or for professionals, the way could be for both without any problem. The decisions we have seen have nothing to do with noobs or professionals.

If we talk about interface for noobs… what is more for noobs than the old T-shelf? No matter how noob or professional you were, the T-shelf was useful and also made clear all the features of blender at all times. It was eliminated because it didn’t fit into the design idea. Not because it was for professionals because the Tshelf is understood by a 10 year old.

What do the piemenus do? They are a very complicated concept to use, instead the menu that before there was where the foot menus were a thousand times easier to use and learn. What would a noob or a kid understand before? A foot menu? or a classic menu?

Next, removing the default searchbar, what exactly is the idea of this? to please a few animators? before it gave access to ALL blender functions with just one button. Now the user will only discover that functionality by bad luck.

As I say, I don’t think blender is changing thinking in noobs or professionals, it changes by decision of people who don’t use it properly and therefore don’t know if the decisions they make are for noobs, professionals or if they just improve something.

2 Likes

My feelings is that here there’s too much thinking, too much writing and complaining and too much low will to adapt/adopt to the change.
Notice that I’m an early user: I’m proud to say I discovered the freeware Blender version around 1998, and started to use it professionally in mid 2000s. I myself was afraid to make the change, so used to 2.7x and so damn quick with it.
But then I carefully waited for the right project (mild complexity) and forced myself to start and finish it with 2.8. Then another and the next one too. It wasn’t easy at first, sure. Also there are still bugs and things that were faster before here and there. All things that will be ironed out, I’m sure.
I read a lot of “fakenews” as the following:

Right click and cursor are still there.
Only the infamous layer system has changed. I was comfortable with those 20 little squares, but I must admit that the current system is much more powerful.

7 Likes

To my ears you sound totally unpolite. Just as a Troll. Hope you’ll teach to behave differently to “your younger ones”.
For your information, I was sharing my experience in the transition from old to new Blender. And between lines I am suggesting to try to adapt because only benefits will come. Stay hard on your positions, and you’ll by definition find yourself “moving in the wrong direction”, at the thread title suggests.

9 Likes

I didn’t search for this sentence, but I can’t apologize. Ok, so you quit 2.7 and can’t familiarize with 2.8.
I can’t advice you in any way, and I’m even also offending you. I also should check if I have mind for all this.
It’s not the first time I posted here answering you.
Being it useless, I guess this will be the last.

Can you feel the anger you filled these lines with? Why on earth talking about other one’s children? Do you even have mind and basic respect to stay in an international forum??

@everyone else: sorry for the show :unamused:

2 Likes

In this thread, rare participants expressed their dissatisfaction with the general development trends. How does the community respond to these ideas? Politely, without rudeness and obscene language, he offends, saying: “Oh, well, you can still use the 2.49 blender,” and all that.

@everyone else: please draw your attention to the fact that the point here is not about the hostility of everything new, and not about nastalgia for everything old (as it often seems especially silly to representatives of this international forum). The problem that advocates of the idea of ​​the inadequacy of the chosen path of development of the blender is interpreted is that the development priorities are given to the needs of the mass consumer. The blender bends to the requirements of those users who are not used to it, and do not want to get used to it, but want it to be what they need. And they need to have a free 3D max (or analogues) to which they are used to before. And at the same time (MOST IMPORTANT!), Those ideas that, as someone pointed out above, made a blender a blender when a free program with a size of 50 megabytes (Bleder 2.49) could compete with commercial products of 500 megabytes (3Dmax 2010) are ignored.

Do you need a Snickers? LOL

3 Likes

Can we please just ignore him?
I mean - he indirectly said that I use Blender for just low arts stuff and drawing hentai. Come on! He doesn’t know anything about either of us and if this thread really has anything productive left in it then he derails is completely. It’s really no use.

Hyperbole and insults don’t solve anything. They emotionalize a discussion that should be about usability and best practices. One needs to be able to discuss ideas freely without being attacked for them. Otherwise we can just stop already.

2 Likes

Please remember that this is a forum to help Blender development, to gather feedback that developers can use to improve Blender.

Many of the designs discussed here have their own topics, please use those instead. A long thread with users discussing topics amongst each other that have already been discussed in more detail elsewhere does not contribute to improving Blender.

19 Likes