Blender [dot] org

Disclaimer: This is my first post on the Blender Devtalk forum.

This topic is for collecting ideas, suggest improvements and to fix small bugs and typos, for the Blender website. I couldn’t find a topic like this elsewhere, let me know if I’m mistaken.

I noticed that on the builder.blender.org, the Hash-IDs that was added recently, has been swapped on the Linux and Windows builds, for both 2.79, 2.80 and 32-bit, 64-bit.
(See image attached)

Another suggestion:

On the blender.org/2.8 website, we should be more consistant when it comes to the naming of Blender 2.80 vs 2.8.
2.80 is being used 4 times, and 2.8 is being used 3 times, and as far as I know, 2.80 is what is being pushed for, for the final release name.

2 Likes

I think that’s just a side-effect of the fact that the buildbot workers are not explicitly synchronized in terms of start time / commit, so it depends on when they run and whether there are commits being made to those branches within that time span. So you get whatever is current at the moment that the worker runs, and that means the different builds offered can be based on different points in time in the development process.

The hash is the commit ID so you can always look at the history and see what he difference is, so for example for 2.8:

https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/B/history/blender2.8/

Speaking of the Buildbot download display and the blender.org web sites in general, one thing I find maddening is the inconsistency in displaying timestamps and never displaying the associated timezone.

For example in the Buildbot displays the timestamps appear to be literal strings sent from the server in some unspecified timezone (UTC or Amsterdam time presumably) with no chance of being converted to the browser’s local timezone.

If you aren’t certain that the time is going to be correct for the user, then please display the timezone name abbreviation with the timestamp.

1 Like

I think it’s safe to say the features section also needs a bit of love as well. I’d even volunteer to add a few descritiptions and artworks as soon as I find some time to do so. If anyone from the Moderators asked me to do it, I can probably invest a bit of work before 2.8 releases…

1 Like

Also the website does not look that good on 4K screens currently. Most Images seem to either have too little resolution and/or scaling issues.