Blender Deleted My Un-assigned Materials - How is That A Feature? - Fake User

Just curious. How hard would it be to implement a preference toggle to turn on fake user at every new created object, material, texture etc. ? Problem would be solved. Both sides would be happy.

I mean … if that really is the case then Blender has to decide which user base to support. And since Blender’s credo is “The freedom to create” I’d guess this encompasses a lot more people in the category of small to mid sized project users instead of large scale.
But you keep saying that these systems are mutually exclusive.

What exactly are those systems - how do you define them and what do they encompass?
And how exactly are they mutually exclusive?
Why would inverting the default of saving new materials impact everybody’s workflow so much for the worse?

So far we are still dicussing if it’s a good thing that blender deletes stuff without a prompt instead of inverting the default and safeguarding the work of users. This is in itself a pretty severe thing but I totally accept that your own specific workflow depends on it being the way it currently is. We are not even talking about completely changing the datablock management system deeper inside Blender, yet.
So the question really is - why is it such a dealbreaker to have at least a toggle like @Arunderan (and I think many others as well) proposed in this thread? This would not change anything about your workflow in the slightest, so far but it would very likely help safe the work of many, many users. And so far I also still can’t see how this makes anything mutually exclusive to a whole system.

I don’t think there is much difficulty , as its probably just setting up a flag of fake user to true during data block creation (but i am talking out of my ass, i haven’t looked at the code)

The issue is that , blender is a big project with many users so everything need to be talked to death on, i can understand that.

No, that’s not the question you want to ask , because it is possible to add it.

What you want to ask is : how come we have this discussion on blender not saving part of your data and not one core team developer here even acknowledges the existance of this thread by even replying to an issue such as blender not saving data.

I think the lack of official response showcases a bigger issue in blender’s development .

*disclaimer : we did get a response (at the beginning of the thread): “look into proposals on this issue and future plans of blender”,

Not good enough as its not something that to be improved but an issue that need to be fixed , borderline a critical bug (please folks , do not reply with : “you may call this a bug but its by design”.

1 Like

Again: https://projects.blender.org/blender/blender/issues/61209#issuecomment-479875
Discussion with devs is ongoing in there. Most of the things discussed in this thread are even already on the bulletpoint list. Including “make save default and add toggle to potions”.

It’s been open for four years, though. Maaaaybe, since Blender now does breaking stuff on major new releases, version 4.0 would be a good opportunity to work it over again.

(also again for sake of thoroughness: Proposal: Explicit Management of Data Blocks and (possible) Deprecation of Fake User)

(edit) BTW - 1D_Inc’s requirements and own observations about Datamanagement are mostly in the design task, I just noticed. Lower third at the moment.
(edit2) and everybody who hasn’t yet read the Link with the design issue yet - do it. Even though I am still opposed to Blender quietly deleting actions and materials by default there is quite a lot of really important observations in there from both sides of the argument. And I think I will have to first think about all of this a little more before I further comment on this thread. :wink:
Yes. I read all of it
No. Still not convinced it has to be a binary choice of all out data-loss or all-out data bloat.

2 Likes

Still requires a patch for now , until a new system will be in place , thanks for the link.

1 Like

That’s why i asked. A patch is most probably the only solution to this dilemma. This is discussed since four years now, and nothing has changed. And most probably never will.

Where is this burried? A starting point would be nice.

1 Like

This is true, it is used, but it doesnot mean that it was originally designed for it. In large studios it comes with pretty harsh and expensive supervisory departments to comepensate its flaws, but our studio is not that large to afford that.

From the other side, we are able to use Blender for individual work.
I mean, we create props and assets using it and so one.